• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1440 and going

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

locust

Registered
well-

here to report these ocz pretested jobbies are legit. On the fic ad 11 I managed to get this 1.2 gz tbird to 1440 stable, 144 mhz bus @ 10x multiplier, cas 2 (using mushkin hyundai memory). Still going - the rig actually posts at 1600 but I need better cooling, I suspect. As a side note, I saw that there are a few weird things going on.

1) the mb is either misreporting voltage or this thing is 1.92 volts instead of 1.85
2) the chip was unlocked, so mult manipulation is easy
3) changing memory (I had two sticks of crucial pc1600) gave me 100 mhz more on the overclock. This was really surprising considering the great success most people seem to have with the crucial mem, but there it is.
4) there is some sort of weird agp problem with the w2k install. I'm gonna reformat and try to deal with it that way, but this board's VERY finicky when it comes to IRQs
5) the boot is extremely slow for a pc of this speed. There must be some acpi conflict of some kind. Anyone with experience, please holler.

It's fast tho.

/l

Do you have a NIC card installed, or Dial-up networking? They can greatly slow down boot time.

Congratulations! You got lucky, and actually got a chip that worked as advertised from OCZ. Take my advice and NEVER order from them again! You'll never, EVER get another chip that works properly from them, so there's no need for you to put yourself through any sort of misery.

Don't believe me? Read these reviews of their outfit:

The Overclockerz Store

Overclockers Store

Oh, and you might want to check this thread at the [H]ard OCP forum.

My advice to you is count your blessings for actually getting a working chip. This place should go into business making human heatsinks, it might help with all of the people they have 'burned'. (Ok, bad pun, I admit).

yeah, I have a nic card (3com 905btx). But it boots just as slow with it in as out. What the hell? I'm very very confused. As far as OCZ goes, I concur, it's a F***in miracle. Imagine, if you will, that the chip is missing one of the four little pads that is supposed to keep the weight of the heatsink off the core, the core and surrounding bridges are covered with some nameless thermal paste, and the fact that I have to mount the world's largest goddamn heatsink on it -- well, I wasn't exactly thrilled out of the gate.

That said, it works. It didn't work straightaway either. I had to switch memory to push it to 1440 - before that it cd only do 1333. So it's something to keep in mind... mem is a HUGE deal.

/l

/l

It's a global win wbk38 with arctic silver. It was a damn miracle I got the frickin thing on. Tight fit on these FIC boards.

/l

Well, congratulations with getting it up and running. I don't know about that little pad problem...you might want to put some sort of replacement pad on there (some pads come with the Alpha PEP66 if you ever bought one that might work). Anyway, take it easy with that chip. One like that doesn't come around every day.

yeah, no kidding. It sure sounds like a lot of people got the screwjob from OCZ. I'm surprised this mem can run at cas 2 @ 144 DDR - this mushkin DDR hyundai crap is top notch.

Now if I cd just figure out why boot takes so long....

/l

locust (Mar 02, 2001 11:36 a.m.):
yeah, no kidding. It sure sounds like a lot of people got the screwjob from OCZ. I'm surprised this mem can run at cas 2 @ 144 DDR - this mushkin DDR hyundai crap is top notch.

Now if I cd just figure out why boot takes so long....

/l

I would pull all cards except graphics card, disable sound, and remove all those devices from windows.

Then re-install all of them one by one. I bet it's a network card or a soundcard.

Yo

Win2K slow booting

Hi.. Im having the same problem with the slow boot thing but I think it is related to version of the 4in1 busmaster driver from VIA. It seemed that when I had installed the 4.28 (after upgrading my bios to fix problems with installing programs) it booted faster but my hd performace was slower. When I remove that version and install the 4.29 or MS driver with hotfix for 100ATA it booted slow again.

If it really bugs you try the 4.28 4in1 and see if it helps.

-Jonathan

Back