• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

160GB hard drive shows 33GB...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

upstreamcurrent

using the partition program listed in the sticky and in windows. Maxblast 3 allows me to use the full size, but I've had problems with windows not recognizing partitions created by maxblast after re-installing. I can't really afford to buy an expensive partitioning utility so if there is another freeware one I can try like Part (from the sticky), or something I can do to get part to allow me to partition the full space.

Also, the BIOS recognizes the hard drive as having the same model number as my other 160GB maxtor which both windows and part 'see' all of. I have also used this hard drive to it's full capacity after partitioning with maxblast.

I've tried using max-blast to create the smallest size partition I can and then go into part to see if that did anything, but that didn't help. I've also tried to use the windows recover console command fixmbr, which also didn't help. If anyone can give me anything else to try that would be great.

attack

If your trying to install windows, just use the basic windows partition when installing, you can setup multiple partitions, format them, and install windows into any one of them.

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

ajrettke said:
If your trying to install windows, just use the basic windows partition when installing, you can setup multiple partitions, format them, and install windows into any one of them.
Right now I'm trying to set up partitions on the second hard drive to back up stuff on the first and then reformat, so I need to set up partitions before installing.

kct2 said:
Why are you using Maxblast?
I'm not anymore, I didn't realize it was this horrible until now.

gingo said:
Ummm, what file file system are you using?
Windows partition is on NTFS. The ones I created to recover the stuff I backed up on maxblast partitions [shudder] are FAT 32. These are all on hda. There are no partitions on hdb since I can't get anything to recognize it's full size.

I have 2 ideas. The first one is to try to write zeros to second the hard drive overnight tonight and see if that will 'unlock' the rest of the space. My second idea is to format just the windows partition, and try to use the windows utility to create partitions on the second hard drive. If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to try anything.

attack

yeah just use the windows setup to make the partitions, you don't need to go through with the installation, just reboot, or i think you can even hit esc and get out.

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

ajrettke said:
yeah just use the windows setup to make the partitions, you don't need to go through with the installation, just reboot, or i think you can even hit esc and get out.
Thanks Ajrettke. I've never used the windows setup to make partions, is it intuitive? I'll probally try that later. Thanks again.

kct2

You can also use windows to partition and format the drive.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management...

You should see the drive shown with any partitioned or unpartitioned space. You will be able to delete, create, and format partitions from there. As long as your are using XP with SP1 the full drive should be accessable.

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

Well, I just tried to use the windows set up and then disk management to get partition and neither one will give me the full 160GB. The both show about 32GB. I'm really at a loss here. The only thing that will 'see' the rest is maxblast, and hevean knows I don't want to touch that with a 50' pole.

I just opened up the windows maxblast and that will only give me the 32GB or whatever everything else is saying. I'm going to run the dos maxblast and see what it says now. I'll report back with my findings.

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

Well, DOS maxblast give me access to the full 163GB. If anyone has any ideas of anything that I could do, please let me know.

Oroka Sempai

why not try partition magic and see what it says... I cant imagine Partition Magic atleast telling you that is wrong.

I am willing to bet that you would find a 33gb partition, and the rest just unallocated.

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

Copernicus, I think you read my problem wrong, it's not that I'm missing 33 GB it's that I only have 33 on my second 160GB, my first one is just fine. My windows XP pro comes with SP1 built in. The problem that I'm having is that my hard drive only registers as a 32-33GB rather than a 120 GB.

Thanks for trying though.

shadowdr

Have you checked the website to be sure that the jumpers are correct? Their diagrams cover many,many models and if there are two jumpers on the drive it could be that it is set to limit the drive to 33 gigs which is an old bios limitation.The jumper diagrams are somtimes even incorrect, but usually for older drives.

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

The jumpers should be fine since it was giveing me the full 160 GB up until I re-formated. I didn't change anything on the drive itself so I don't think that it should be a jumper issue, but I will check it when I get home, just to be safe.

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

I haven't tried fdisk yet, can I get a link please?

I started zeroing out the hard drive last night, so we'll see what that did if I go home for lunch.

glebka11

As you might or might not know, Low Level Formatting voids your warranty.
Thats not the point.
It can kill the drive if not used properly.

Anyways, you do not need link to fdisk. You have fdisk on EVERY boot floppy.
If you have Win98 cd, you can get it from there.
If you cant find it, get a boot floppy writer from www.bootdisk.com for windows 98 SE,
write the stuff to floppy, then boot from it.

After booting, type in: "fdisk" without the "".

You will see an easy to use interface allowing you to create partitions, view partitions, delete partitions etc...

Note that ANY change with fdisk will result in complete data loss (although i dont think u got something on that disk, just making sure you know).

OP
U

upstreamcurrent

Thanks glebka! I don't think I did a low level format, just used the included software to write a zero to every bit. I think I read somewhere that modern drives can't even be low-level formated because of the way they are made or something. Anyway, thanks for the 'link' for fdisk, I'm hoping that fdisk will read the whole drive and cause this headache to go away.