• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$180-$250 GPU for VR system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I just got Half Life: Alyx for my Rift S and its great, however it really needs a lot of room space to interact with everything.
I have a HTPC that has a R5 1600 in it...just needs a better GPU to be able to quickly and easily plug my VR into it.

What GPU would work well to play Half Life: Alyx on it for as cheap as possible?
-Vega 56? ($250 on newegg)
-1660ti?
-1650 Super?
-RX 580?

The Vega 56 although runs hot, seems like its significantly quicker than all the rest for the price...

Any thoughts?

You can probably get close to the $250 for a 5600XT with some effort. THat would be the best bang for buck, considering it will still benefit from RDNA driver optimizations for quite a while, and Alyx is a hefty load for the lesser cards.

5600XT performs well above its weight class.

2060 Super is great too, but I think you'll get better value and get closer to your price target with the Radeon.

This is the best card there is to play Half-life- Alyx:
Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
Whether you’re looking for a more powerful graphics card or get a jump start on Nvidia’s vision of a ray-traced future, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is the world’s most powerful GPU on the market.

FOR
High fps 4K gaming on one card
Leads ray tracing revolution in gaming
USB-C connectivity

AGAINST
Extremely expensive
Few initial ray tracing-supported games

And it is within your budget as well.

Last edited:
I am With Cat5.

2060 Super or 5600XT, with a preference for the 5600XT.

Not in sig, but used to be a VR freak ;) Waiting for funds to build a VR monster.

Back