• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

18v on 12v cable, wtf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

Anyone seen this... was this was on delivery... could hardly boot my puter, and third time the PSU went pop..

defect PSU, or did I mess somet hing up?:rolleyes:

mirko_3

With high overclocks, my 230W PSU (I have enough stuff connected to it that it's a wonder it works, I think I'm sucking about 350W from it..) starts going crazy, like for a few seconds it shows 15v on the 12v line, and the 3v goes crazy as well sometimes. Was it weak PSU? And was the voltage constantly at 15v? If so, I'd say crappy PSU..

OP
flixotide

flixotide

Chieftec 200 watts mATX PSU...

A tualatin at 1 ghz, mATX board, 40 gig ATA100 disk and FDD... and already then it startet wobbling... so it must've been cwappy no?

mirko_3

Yeah, I suppose it's a crappy PSU; my PSU is same brand, only at 230W, and it's feeding 2 harddisks, 1DVD drive, one 4x CDRW, 1 AGP Video Card, 1 Sound card, 1 network card, the motherboard and like 8 fans, and it works wonderfully...

OP
flixotide

flixotide

Right'o... I've just sent it back to the vendors... let's see what they say...

According to AMD's builders guide 200 W should be more than enough.. power consumption is at around 145 from the parts in mine..

Bugger... good things nerds like myself have 3 puters.. can always spare one or two in :D

OP
flixotide

flixotide

EDIT: AMD's guides to building stuff. clickety click

Hang on a sec.. I found the link at Toms hadrware guides , so you might wanna look there. There is a test of 21 PSU's, and somewhere in the review, there is a link to AMD's builders guide.

I think its one of the first 3-4 pages..

Happy hunting

Flixotide