• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

193+ FSB kills 9700Pro ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyP

Ok guys i went ahead and upgraded to the 9700 pro and loved it. First thing i did was removed the heatsink and shim and used some antec thermal paste. It hit 380/340 without any artifacts. Well yesterday i got a wild hair up my *** and decided to do the VDD (Chipset voltage) on my A7N8X DLX which would never go above 193FSB. Now prime95 and 3Dmark are all rock solid at 205FSB. The problem is that now my vid card will only hit 340/340. Anything higher than that and i either hard lock, BSOD, or just get booted back to windows. So whats up? Anyone have any ideas . My sig is upto date so just let me know about any ideas.

XP 2100+ @ 2320Mhz (193FSB)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
512 Corsair XMS PC3200LL
ATI 9700PRO 380/340
Sony DRU500AX DVD+/-RW
IBM 60GXP 40gig
Alpha Pal 8045 37C Idle 42C Load
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6100785

Couple of things..

when you lower your FSB back down to what it was b-4 the mod, are you able to get the R9700 back up to what you could before?

When you o'clock your FSB, you are overclocking everything, including you vid card..that *might* have something to do w/it..

Also, perhaps the mobo or PSU is having trouble sending the proper voltage w/ the extra draw needed for the overclocks....

just a couple of thoughts, anyway....

PreservedSwine is correct

but I put my money one the psu too, on my system, I try enermax 350w, sparkle 400w, antec 430w, all three well giving me issues when ever I increase vcore, ex

1.9v vcore, memory works good
2.19v vcore, memory gave me so much errors

I solve most of it by doing a mod to the sparkele 400w, to increase the rails.

so what about your case?
First thing, I'm almost 100% that your overclock issues is with memory, not the core

what to do?
get artifact tester and test your ram memory
get memtest 86 to test your main ram for extra insurance that everything is working right

when you get artifacts tester, it will test your video card memory, first put it stock, 310mhz, and from there increase to 340mhz and find out how many artifacts you get, I hope this helps you out:D

system, epox 8rda and asus a7n8x, think is something with nforce2 chips, I test and had the same issue with both boards:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replys guys, and thanks split. I guess i'm just being picky but i really want the most out of this rig ( gotta make the 3dmark2k3 team :) Anyway i have an antec 430 truepower PSU and all the rail seem fine. The 5 volt drops to about 4.9119 under load and the next mod i do will be the 5v stright to the board mod. Anyway how much do you guys know about the AGP bus lock on the A7N8X. Does it really lock the bus at 66, cuz alot of people are having probs with 9700's running on high AGP speeds. Oh well i'm just grabing at air now.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. I did find the sweetspot for the speeds. I can keep the card at 380/340 unit about 193fsb and that is the speed I ran this score

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6124443

I know that above that is just greedy but i want the most for the least, as always :)

Back