• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st MSI motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BTank

Registered
Got this K7T266Pro2-RU at a bargain. kt266A chipset. Long been an Abit user. I'm very satisfied with this board.

At first I thought it was going to be as quirky as a kt7a. I was not able to get past 145 fsb. This board is the most stable board i've ever owned at default FSB. Over that, i found it IS quirky, but only to HEAT. Once i figured the cure for that problem and adding an XP1600+ (for a total of < $130) and a transfer of the rest of my stuff from the old system, including an AIW 8500; I am running:

1.912 Ghz 153fsb x 12.5 3DMark2k1 is 10,057

Best 100 bucks i ever spent and am very happy :)

What i found with the K7T266Pro2-RU was that the locks were coinciding with CPU temperatures of more than 48C! It seems that the pcAlert 3 (is that the name?) reads the probe from the mobo for the CPU (which i can't seem to locate...anywhere) and even with h2o when the temps rose from adding Vcore and FSB when the temps crept up near 48C .... Lock!

Looking at the Northbridge i found it very hot, that and the Cpu socket and caps were close together and causing high heat in about a 3 inch circular area. I suspended an 80mm fan toward the NB, since i silver epoxied my Blorb to the old mobo, and at an angle back at the exhaust fan. Even the PCB between the CPU, NB, and mosfets was hot to the touch. Now, with direct air, the NB was barely warm, as well as the PCB, caps and a drop of 5 degrees in case temps and 10 in cpu temps. They really, really should have made this with a fan on the northbridge of this board. If the KT3 has only a heatsink on the NB, i would do the same to it.

What a difference. It was an entirely different board. Maximum FSB (164mhz on the K7T266Pro2-RU) on any multiplier below 12x. Who knows maybe 12x will max too. As a side benefit, the air from the 80mm hits some of the ram, directly on the NB, the caps, and the backside of the video card (which gets hot even with the gpu fan on the other side). So the crucial pc2100 ram runs at max everything ('cept 1T, which only works at 133fsb) up to max FSB. Btw, i can see how they were matching the FSB and memory of that time when these came out because the pc2100 probably has problems about 166mhz and the mobo only goes to 164mhz, a good match (dunno, maybe the pc2100 goes higher, haven't got a FSB to test it).

Anybody that doesn't cool the northbridge is gonna think this is a pos motherboard. At least, on the board i have.

The XP1600+ was interesting, to say the least. I had to unlock it 5 times before getting all the multis. Even then it re-locked in 24 hours, twice. Seems they need about 1/4 of the resistance of the T-birds i'm used to unlocking. I just had to hand paint another layer on the bridges to thicken them, there were no cross connects or grounds, just need less resistance.

pcAlert 4, which is up on the MSI site i found, is reading the temps directly off the CPU die. Alright! It also has this cpu Cool thing ( Halt command?) which knocks off another 5C from the CPU temperatures. So i'm running idle 36C cpu and 33C case. About 41C load, so far. The northbridge was hot enough it was effecting the cpu, nearby, as well as the case temperatures.

CPU will go a little higher, but with fsb maxing, i'll have to use 12x or 12.5, which will keep my agp/pci closer to spec, i guess. I was using 11.5 x 164 for benching.

Since i coudn't afford a 2400+ or one of the new motherboards...... Thank you Jebus!, ,.... errr MSI!

MSI K7T266Pro2-RU
XP1600+ @ 1912mhz
512MB crucial pc2100
8500 AIW 128MB
Koolance 400w sparkle

OP
B

BTank

Registered
On die temperature reading?

1) I'm a little confused here? After reading some of my quick notes, the temps for pcAlert III look to be the same as pcAlert 4 is reading now (CPU temps)??

Local tech told me "4" reads low speed fan and now takes (CPU) temps from the on chip die. That would make my temperatures HIGHER using pcAlert 4, but they are not. I don't get it?

2) Do you think Fuzzy Logic could "fool" the 164mhz FSB limit? If you catch my drift, heh heh..... I have no experience with it.

thank you

Trent

I have the kt3ultra2 and from my experience with the fuzzy logic software is that it pretty much is a joke. It says will oc my system by another 5-10 mhz on the fsb but anytime I let it do this nothing but instant lock ups when running games. If it works for you great, if not life goes on right, the best thing to do is try.
As for your question about pc alert it adds the ability to read on die temps, however if your motherboard doesnt support on die temps(which the xps have a temp diode built into the core), and without doing a little digging im not sure if yours does read these. That is perhaps why you saw no change in temps.

OP
B

BTank

Registered
Thx Trent

I haven't given fuzzy a try, but i will. Like you say, worth a shot.

I guess, then, my board doesn't support reading the on die temperatures. Darn.

OP
B

BTank

Registered
This just keeps getting better. woot.

The K7T266Pro2-RU... WILL take a 2400+ T-bred! I just did it with a friends XP2400+. Just needs a capacitor removed (C37) and the slightly modded 3.74 bios. My XP1600+ still works so pallys will work with the mod also. Wouldn't let me unlock his chip and didn't have time to up the front side bus.

PCalert4 uses Stop Grant command not Halt, so it doesn't just work at idle but anytime cpu isn't 100%. W shows cpu at 100%, but that is just pcalert.exe running. i'd still turn it off for games and benchies because i think it does take cycles and i'd rather have speed than cooling. closer to full cpu usage less cooling effect anyway.