• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st o/c Abit KT7A 1200 axia 266.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sirfin

Registered
First off thanks to everyone who has ever posted here. From reading all your posts for a couple of months I've used the information and managed to build my 1st system from scratch and o/c it.

abit kt7a
1200 266 athlon @1413 (108x35 in Softmenu III but says 113x12.5 when I boot.) 1.75 core 3.40 i/o
384 megs micron pc-100 (recycled)
geforce ddr-dvi (recycled, geforce 3 coming on the 16th)
a3d sound card (recycled)
SCSI 2940 w/ ibm 10k 18 gig and cdrom (recycled)

A couple of questions, 1st off what can I do to improve my o/c? At 1425 (and higher I cannot get sisoft sandra and 3dmark 2001 to run all benchmarks. At 1500 it will post but windows 98 will not load. How does i/o voltage vary from core voltage? Finnaly, why do clock speeds in softmenu III vary from the ones when you boot. Ie 108x35 in Softmenu III and 113x12.5 when I boot.

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone might have.

Sirfin~

Sirfin (Apr 09, 2001 04:41 p.m.):
First off thanks to everyone who has ever posted here.

You are welcome :)

From reading all your posts for a couple of months I've used the information and managed to build my 1st system from scratch and o/c it.

abit kt7a
1200 266 athlon @1413 (108x35 in Softmenu III but says 113x12.5 when I boot.) 1.75 core 3.40 i/o
384 megs micron pc-100 (recycled)
geforce ddr-dvi (recycled, geforce 3 coming on the 16th)
a3d sound card (recycled)
SCSI 2940 w/ ibm 10k 18 gig and cdrom (recycled)

A couple of questions, 1st off what can I do to improve my o/c? At 1425 (and higher I cannot get sisoft sandra and 3dmark 2001 to run all benchmarks. At 1500 it will post but windows 98 will not load.

First off get a good cooler. Then get rid of that PC100 RAM and get a dgood stick of cas2 PC133. That will allow you to take up the FSB speed. Thirdly check your SCSI card. It may hold you back as well.

How does i/o voltage vary from core voltage?

i/o voltage is 3.3 default, and is used for RAM and Grapghics card. Bringing it up to 3.4 or 3.5 may improve stability.

Cor voltage is your CPUs juice. Default is 1.75. Increasing it generates more heat, but also higher signal amplitudes so that 0s and 1s can be better distinguished. This helps when you go past stock speed, however it requires better cooling.

Finnaly, why do clock speeds in softmenu III vary from the ones when you boot. Ie 108x35 in Softmenu III and 113x12.5 when I boot.

Many Bioses are flawed. Sometimes I think that the people programming them are geniuses on one hand but did not pass a simple math test or cannot operate a hand calculator.

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone might have.

You are welcome :)

Sirfin~

In softmenu when you set the cpu fsb it will say things like 133/33 in this example the 133 is your fsb and the 33 is the PCI speed.

What are you using for cooling? If temps are to high that would hold you back. Not all 1.2's OC really good you are already above the average OC that is in the Cpu database here. I have 2 1.2gig Athalons one does 1440 with ambient temp water cooling, the other would only do 1.33 with a FOP38 which is not acceptable so I am running chilled water at -17 through a block on the cpu and this lets me run over 1.5gig stable. I havent hit the limit with this cpu yet, just taking it slowly and verifing stability at each increase. Also take some notes so you can remember what settings work and what doesn't.

dude, nice choice on mobo, cpu and such... get better ram, and get a good hsf... i've got an alpha pal6035, and love it... get a delta fan, if you can stand the noise... Read my HUGE post on the kt7a-raid... most of that'll apply, sonce the only difference is the raid. Also, get a bigger/splice2 power supplies... the birds eat up the 1.8 volts and 3 volts... get either 400w, or splice a 250/300 to another 250/300... the more wattage, the better... also, make sure that your case is correctly cooled, its not as simple as air in, air out... read all about it in the forums and online.... umm, www.anandtech.com www.amdzone.com www.virtualhideout.com few others... get a good case, round your cables, and blow some CFM!!!!!!! :)

SharkyTM

Sounds like my RAM is holding me back )-: Perhaps my SCSI card too. Will have to save up for a stick of good ram.

So far my temps seem ok. High 30's idle low 40's full load. Using a vantec heatsink with a 80mm sunon on top. Case is a modded inwin 500 with 4 120mm panaflos and 2 80mm panaflos. My PSU has 2 fans too. (enermax 350) All blowing in the right directions. I'm not brave enough to try watercooling.... yet. ;-)

Will try upping the voltage for now. Is there any way to simply increase the multiplier past 12.5 without upping the fsb?

Thanks again for your responses greatly appreciated.

Sirfin~

Thx for the volatage tips Yomama, I got from 1413 to 1430 stable. Temp only went up a few degrees.

Muchos gracias,

Sirfin~

Sirfin (Apr 10, 2001 03:36 p.m.):
Thx for the volatage tips Yomama, I got from 1413 to 1430 stable. Temp only went up a few degrees.

Muchos gracias,

Sirfin~

De nada - just make sure you monitor those temps and get the best cooler you can.

Yo

Go with peltier and watercooling. Danger Den's maze2. Mine will post at 1597 but will not run prime95. The max I can get is 1540 (11x140) but I like 10 x 150 better. Idle at -10 c

Back