• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1TB Seagate ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - $40 AR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have (4) of the Hitachi 2tb 7200rpm drives and love them. Had good experience with the larger Samsung drives as well.

is this one an ok drive/deal?

also can anyone tell me from these two which one is the better drive: WD20EARS 2TB or HD32000 IDK/7K 2TB

they say about the WD20EARS
As expected with a power saving hard drive, the performance is lacking when compared to 7200rpm drives.
but in another customer review the performance looks pretty good to me:
Here are my HD Tune 2.55 results on this HD.
Access Time = 19.2ms
Burst Rate = 149.7MB/s
CPU Usage = -1.0%
Average transfer rate = 84.8MB/s
Minimum transfer rate = 48.3MB/s
Maximum transfer rate = 119.8MB/s

the Hitachi is 7200 but i don't know if it's any faster - couldn't find charts..

Last edited:
You should write something for the overclockers.com front page about these, we really need to make sure we get the word out to avoid these drives like I avoid eating vegetables

While I would certainly love to do that, I'm afraid I'd be grossly overstepping my bounds at work. Publishing my information in an article would risk people associating my information with a particular company or event, which would also point at me as an employee. Writing an article defaming the products of one company as a "representative" of another company could potentially get me in some trouble.

Giving personal advice in occasional cyber deals threads is probably fine though :)

all of my 7200.xx drives are workin.

i know i have a .10 and a .11 and never had any problems with it.
i have a .02 some place and its working, its a bit old and small now though

i had a hitachi that was slower than a box of rocks on crack though

I will say hitachi was the first to have a 2tb 7200 rpm hd... and like i have said before ALL of my hitachis are workign to this day... that includes a 200gb from the dethstar era... but more importantly a 1tb and 500gb that havnt been turned off in more than a year.

3rd seagate 1TB barracuda 7200.12 failure in a row for me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brand new purchased from store box versions. i initially purchased 2 for a raid 1 array. on of the drives failed to be detected in bios out of the blue. returned that for another one. 2nd one lasted about 1 day and the same issue came up, failure to be detected in bios and it also made clicking noises. went back to the store for another exchange.....3rd one failed just the same after 2 days! i have had enough of these and returning them for refund. ordered samsung spinpoint F3's 1TB from newegg next day air.

in all the computer issues i had in my lifetime i never went through so much hassle as failing hard drives like this. if it wasn't for raid 1 i would have shot myself. the seagates are very quiet and fast, but this failure rate is out of control. i tried WD black 1TB and they are way too loud.

Even though I never had a Seagate drive just randomly die (out of 8 drives, 7200.7 all the way up to 7200.12, only had 2 die from physical shock) I'm trying to move away from them. They've become too sketchy lately.

Back