• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.0 vcore problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

I was playing around the other night and figured I'd try to up the vcore and see if I could get anything extra out of my 2100+. I upped it to 2.0v and was stupid and forgot to up the fsb so I went in at the same mhz but more voltage. My temps went up 1-2C but after about a minute it would lock up. Could it be that my cpu just doesn't like 2+ vcore or could there be another issue?

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
2100+'s generally don't have issues 2.0v vcores. Most likely the issue lies within your power supply. To run your proc that high, you will need a very high quality psu, with steady voltage lines and rated for high amperages.

OP
OCn00b

OCn00b

I've got a 400w fortron hooked up to it at the moment. I would have thought that should be enough.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Hmm... My 300w Fortron has no problem giving my 1700+ 1.95v, but then again it seems like you're using 1.975v yourself right now. I haven't tried anything higher for real, but I know that the highest it will post at is 2.1v. There's a good chance that 1.975 is the very limit for your psu, and it just can't handle any higher stabily. Unfortunately, using core voltages that high is quite rare, and most that attempt it use 550w+ psu's so I can't say much for sure, for which I am sorry. You may want to attempt a burn-in, but a .25v hike not working would most likely point to the psu.

hitechjb1

Do you have lot of peripherals such as HD, DVD, CDRW and what video card?

What is the CPU frequency at lockup?

After it locked up first time, had you back down the Vcore and booted into the OS. And then up the Vcore to 2.0V and try again. That is: was the lockup consistent and repeatable, or just once and you did not try some more.

OP
OCn00b

OCn00b

Thanks Gautam. Looks like when I've got some spare cash laying around I'll be buying a new psu :)

OP
OCn00b

OCn00b

I've got 2 hard drives, cd/rw, 3.5" floppy, radeon 9500 np, sound card and modem hooked up.

Well, also the fans and 2 pumps :)

Last edited:

hitechjb1

What clock frequency did it lock up? Is the lockup consistent and repeatable after a normal reboot?

You don't have excessive hardware, some will say even a Fortron 350W would handle that. I haven't use a Fortron 350, 400 W. But I know to power a XP 2100+ running 2.5 GHz at 2V takes lots of power and current. It would take 2.3 times the power at rated 1.6V and 1.73 GHz.

OP
OCn00b

OCn00b

When it locked I had it set down to 2443mhz and it locked up 4 times at that speed so I didn't try any higher speeds. I may try again some time just so I can double check the volts.