• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.3/2.4v DDR2 too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I believe my RAM is holding my Q6600 back, but since DDR2 prices shot up, there is no way I am investing $80-$100 into 4GB DDR2 old technology...

Would pumping 2.3/2.4v into my 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667 and 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-667 be too much?

I am running them at 800MHz 5-6-6-18 on auto in the BIOS

From what I understand DDR2 will be around for a while and DDR3 really isn't that much faster.

As far as raising the voltage, you can start with small increments of 0.3. Higher voltages (2.9v to 3.3v) available one some motherboards, may damage RAM over longer periods of time.

If I were you (unless you plan on buying a new system), I'd spend the money to upgrade your memory, especially if running Vista / Windows 7.

From what I understand DDR2 will be around for a while and DDR3 really isn't that much faster.

As far as raising the voltage, you can start with small increments of 0.3. Higher voltages (2.9v to 3.3v) available one some motherboards, may damage RAM over longer periods of time.

If I were you (unless you plan on buying a new system), I'd spend the money to upgrade your memory, especially if running Vista / Windows 7.

I think you're talking about DDR1 voltage...

I wouldn't push it over 2.2V at all.

Back