• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4-400mhz, 2.8B or 3.06B?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jouyang

I am trying to build a htpc with my old stuff. I am having problem deciding which cpu to grade so I can view the T2-Extreme DVD without choking on my current system. The DVD required a 3.0ghz to run it smooth.

My current system:
VIA p4pb (only support up to 533fsb, 3.06ghz)
[email protected] (unstable if it's > 133fsb overclocked)
ati 9800pro 128mb

Here'r my options:
1. Buy 2.4 400mhz then overclock it to 3.0g
2. Buy 2.8b then overclock it 10%
3. Buy 3.06 don't overclock it because it's for htpc(less noise)

Lancelot

I'm sorry but nothing will run 'choke free' with that Via chipset based mainboard you have. I've once owned a Via based P4 mainboard and I can guarantee you will never fully benefit of your CPU's capabilities. Get a combo of a i865PE mainboard and a P4C CPU if you possibly can...

Jiggahurtz

Disabled
I agree get rid of that pos Via I learned my ways when I switched to an Nforce versus the Via. Its not as stable as the Intels and its alot more finnicky but anything but SiS outperforms Via.

OP
J

jouyang

sounds like you guys are recommending me to ditch the VIA and buy a new motherboard to oc my 1.8A.

Hardin

I have a P4PB400 and it works at stock speeds, but it would crash even if I raised the fsb to 134 :eek:. It could be my ram but I doubt it...

batboy

Senior Moment
What we are saying is don't waste your money on a 400 or 533 bus CPU. If you are going to upgrade, do it right with a new mobo that will support the 800 bus HT CPUs (like the Abit AI7 or something like that with an Intel chipset). This will also give you dual channel DDR (with 2 sticks of RAM) which will be a great benefit for your DVD viewing pleasure. Not sure how much RAM you have, but the more the better.

OP
J

jouyang

Now you guys got me thinking to upgrade. I know Intel will drop there price on 8/22 so this is what I am thinking. I go out and buy a AI7 now and oc the 1.8A then get a 3.0C after 8/22. The problem now would be my memory. I have a stick of CORSAIR CMX256A-3000C2PT DDR 256MB and CMX512A-3000C2PT DDR 512MB. In order to benefit from the dual channel I will need to get another 256mb. Should I but a new pair of pc4000 or would another CMX256A-3000C2PT can do the job on oc the 3.0c? If I should go with pc4000, what do you guys recommend?

thanks in advance
~joy

mtb856

I got my 1.8A to run at 3.0 gigs w/ 1.58V no problem on my board.... I got bored with the 1.8A and bought a 2.4C on the classifieds, it's a sweet processor. I think I have the same oc as some guys get on their 3.0C's and my FSB is a heck of a lot higher.

Personally, I would spend the money on a good mobo and ram and then buy an average cpu to overclock.... you'll get a better overclock and better performance if you spend the money on those components. Plus, overclocking's all about taking a slower ,cheaper processor and getting it to whoop the fastest $500 processor on the market :D . I spend under a $150 on mine and I'm benching higher at 3.4 gigs than the new 3.6 Prescott.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
mtb856 said:
Personally, I would spend the money on a good mobo and ram and then buy an average cpu to overclock....

...Plus, overclocking's all about taking a slower ,cheaper processor and getting it to whoop the fastest $500 processor on the market :D . I spend under a $150 on mine and I'm benching higher at 3.4 gigs than the new 3.6 Prescott.

:attn:

2.4c's are fun!

Sunburn

Registered
What about the 2.4Ghz Prescott @ 533fsb? I think people were overclocking that chip upwards of 4Ghz with little effort. Of coure I'm not sure how high you can get on your setup... They are around $116-125.

OP
J

jouyang

2.4A Prescott is nice but I don't think my current MB supports Prescott. Since I am buying the AI7 anyway, I would prefer 3.0c.

Can someone answer the memory questions?
"Should I but a new pair of pc4000 or would another CMX256A-3000C2PT can do the job on oc the 3.0c? If I should go with pc4000, what do you guys recommend?"

batboy

Senior Moment
That mobo don't officially support the Prescott... and 4 gig is not easy. They run hot and for high overclocks watercooling or better is recommended.