• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4 northwoods are out today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

As some of you know already the 2.4 (24 X100) Northwoods are out today. Googlegear.com is selling them for $599 and Newegg.com is selling them for $630.
Also some of you know i'm buying up parts to build my new system this week and i was tyring to decide which chip to buy. Well i was going to buy the 2.0 but guess what those 2.4's are going to drive me crazy and i may just get one instead. Screw it it's my money and you only live once. Besides i'm buying the chip last so maybe a good deal will pass by me. I just saw a 2.2 on ebay for Buy it Now option at $400. I should of went for it!

Well do what you want, but I don't think it's worth it. It's not a new stepping so it's not going to overclock much better than a 2.2, plus the multiplier is lower so you're gonna have to overclock the bus higher, and if you're using an i850 board that makes it tough. You could use a ddr board, but I think it's a waste to pair a P4 with anything less than rdram right now.

if you don't think i can get to 3.0 with it using stock cooling then i won't buy it. i really want a stable overclock to 3.0 without much hassle and i thought by getting the fastest ghz chip out i would achieve that goal easier. My next choice would of been the 2.2 to 2.6 or the 2.0 to 2.4. That 2.2 for $400 is still on ebay and do you think i should go that route instead?

I dont think these chips will be stable at 3GHz+ with stock cooling. Maybe with an Alpha or Swiftech cooler you can do 3GHz+ if your lucky enough to get a really good CPU, but the only way I can see 3GHz+ with this CPU is with water cooling. I am basing this on the fact that the 2.4GHz is the same stepping as the 2.2GHz and the 2.2GHz CPUs need water cooling to be stable at 3GHz+. A lot of the reviews I saw also showed that 3GHz+ is attainable, but not stable.

I too am getting a P4 and basically have all the stuff I need to build my system except for the CPU, but I'm waiting until April 14 when I hear Intel will make the first of their price cuts on the P4 line. You might want to wait until then. Hopefully I can wait that long too :D

I can just barely break 3GHz with mine, and that's with high-end water cooling and nearly 2 volts. Since the 2.4 is still the same stepping, I seriously doubt it will do much better. There's a small possibility that the 2.4's are cream of the crop compared to the 2.2's but I just don't know if it's worth the money.

I figured you would know something about this chip. Maybe tested it or something. It just seems i'm one step behind with my upgrades and want to be on top this time. I bought the 1.7 socket 423 and then 1.8 socket 423 and within a couple of weeks the Socket 478's came out. Worst comes to worst i'll have a stock ghz of 2.4 and at least an overclock of 2.6+ with stock cooling. If i go that way then i'll order a new peltier for my DD waterblock. You also mention to get that high (3 ghz) i'd have to do a volt mod. What chip would you recommend where i could get a 133 fsb without that mod? I have 1 week to decide while waiting on my other computer components. Thanks for the advice TC!

I had been hoping the new 2.4 gig Northy would be a new stepping, but according to the article on overclockers.com homepage, TC is right. The 2.4 gig is still the same original stepping, just maybe the higher yield cores (2.4 might be the cream of the crop as was pointed out already). Supposedly, the new stepping will be out by the end of May. If you want a good shot at 3 gig, I might wait until the new stepping arrives. I'm waiting on a couple things for my next upgrade. First, the new Northwood stepping and second, the faster PC-1066 RDRAM. Yippee! Phoenix, I say hang in there and save some more money and wait another month or two and then you'll be on the leading edge of overclocking with that new Northwood stepping.

I don't think any of the current woodies will hit these kinds of speeds without the extra voltage. So if you don't want to do the volt mod then I think your only option is one of the DDR mobo's. I had the Epox 4SDA and it went up to somewhere around 2 volts stock. The drawback to this is it makes no sense to have a P4 running at these high clocks with anything less than rdram. The upcoming dual channel DDR may be a different story, but for now it just stinks. Well maybe not stinks, but if you're looking for every last bit of performance rdram is the only choice at this point in time.

jdmcnudgent said:
if you want the new stepping, go to ebay, and get a 18x133 chip.:D
Those aren't a new stepping - just different multiplier for 133 fsb operation. The next stepping is due in May I believe, along with a pretty good die shrink which likely means a good many changes have been made. Probably less power consumption and heat dissipation which should equal easy 3GHz overclocks.

In May the 533 fsb chips are to be released and i'll have to buy another board and chip once again. Technology sure is moving fast. I myself changed boards 3 times this past 6 months. From the ASUS P3V4X to the ASUS P4T and now i ordered an ABIT TH7II just yesterday. Next month will be another ASUS board with 533 fsb support.

Back