• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4b Costa Rica / Asus P48GX results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZN

AznSniper

Rigs under construction

Main rig[color=333333]...................................................[/color]Backup rig
2.4b @ 3438 MHz SL6RZ Costa Rica 3306[color=333333]....[/color]2.53 @ 3420 MHz SL6S2 Malay L248
Asus P4G8X 191fsb 1.575v SLK 900U[color=333333]...........[/color]Abit IT7 180fsb 1.6v AX478
512 MB Samsung PC3200[color=333333]..........................[/color]512 MB Samsung PC3200
MSI TI4400, SBA, 80 GB WD 8MB $[color=333333]............[/color] GF3, SBL, 160 GB Maxtor
ViewSonic VG175 blah blah blah[color=333333]..................[/color]19in Monitor blah blah blah

Heatware (aznsniper)

"The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all, is the person who argues with him."
Stanislaw Jerszy Lec

190fsb 3420mhz 1.55v costa rica 2.4b 2002 week 52 from Frys. Asus P4G8X deluxe dual channel 1003 bios. PC3200 samsung 2x512mb, AX478 HS.
I honestly think 3.5ghz is in reach if i knew how to set this board up or with a better bios. if any Pros out there knows what to do with this board please help. some bios settins i have no idea on and it seems no matter what timmings i set ram to it will defualt back to slowest timmings. cant say im totally satisfied but i cant say it was not worth the upgrade either. I'll be spending alot of time in the MB section to work this board right.
im still a noob on this board so this is all a noobie can score.
now how do i enable HT ???

3dmark.jpg

pcmark2.jpg

updated PCmark score done at 195fsb 3.51ghz

mem.jpg

its.jpg

mips.jpg

EDIT... some of the test were run at 3.5ghz
Update with new bios and scores.

AZN

Last edited:
well im still new to it so i havent decided. so far it looks good i was just hopping to get 195fsb out of this and i still think i can just needs more tweaking.
as far as price goes $200 is alittle high for a MB so thats up to u if u want to burn that much cash. yes the mem bandwidth is great but its still alot of change for the setup.

$200 board, must use 2x XXXpcXXXX for dual channels to work. without 2 sticks the board is just a waste of money.
but i must say this is by far the fastest system i have seen. when I install software like photoshop or pcmark or whatever normally its like 1-100% in 1-2 seconds.
the 1gb of ram helps cuzz i see no lag switching between programs. normally big games like UT2003 or battlefield1942 will have alittle lag when exiting the game but not anymore. right now the only thing that will make me happier is 195fsb and HT ;)
I think when HT chips drop to $200 level i will pick one up cuzz my board supports that. o and i will get a 8x VC soon too.

AZN

it is off. anything else? or is that all u know ;)

AZN

AZN,

Very nice setup. The ram defaulting back to loosest timings is not uncommon. You have to use the wcprset or wcprcredit to keep it at higher settings, or you have to download and flash the tweaker bios that someone named "the mad" did. You can dfind more info on the board and settings it needs, and I believe a link to the tweaker bios HERE:CLICK ME

Good luck!

PJ

i gave up on setting mem cuzz it always seem to defualt back to slow so i set it to SPD or whatever defualt. Im goign to read more about the board and try to find a better bios.

AZN

ah thanks LS, what is that for?
well i changed bios to 1003 thats what big nuttz told me to use and ive gotten it to 199fsb into windows but nott stable for bench. but 197fsb i got some benchies. I think i should have gone with pc3500 or better quality ram. now if i can only get the mem timmings to stay on what i set it to. any1 knows how?
i think i will run it at 3.42ghz but it will run 3.51ghz easy with 1.625v
i just want to use low voltage so ill keep it at 3.42ghz

JD u need new ram quick cuzz i want to see 200fsb from that chip . I want to see 5000mem too.
im starting to consider the 2.53 c1 cuzz at 190fsb it will be 3.6ghz. im sure i can get $170 for my chip and then toss in a few bucks more for the 19x multiplyer

BTW lastride, how are u doing on ur system?

AZN

Last edited:
AZN,

If you go to the link below, it will take you to a special bios that allows you to keep the lower mem timings. I do not know if it will limit you rfsb oclock, you will just have to try. It does keep the mem timings though. You turn off the tweak by turning off the virus check in the bios... Try it out and let us know how it goes. I use this bios on my board...

Here is the link:

Tweaker Bios

PJ

I tried the 1004 tweak bios and it worked but my ram suckorz... i had to back fsb down to 175fsb before i could get 227cas2.5 to work. then that only got 4309 MBps sandra.
I knew i should have gotten XMS or some twinmoss but i didnt want to burn $300 on ram. o well maybe later i will get better quality ram. also the bios does not work well over 190fsb so i reflashed it to the 1003 bios. with the 1003 bios i can run at 195fsb easy. but i'll just keep it at 190fsb ;)

AZN

AZN said:
ah thanks LS, what is that for?
well i changed bios to 1003 thats what big nuttz told me to use and ive gotten it to 199fsb into windows but nott stable for bench. but 197fsb i got some benchies. I think i should have gone with pc3500 or better quality ram. now if i can only get the mem timmings to stay on what i set it to. any1 knows how?
i think i will run it at 3.42ghz but it will run 3.51ghz easy with 1.625v
i just want to use low voltage so ill keep it at 3.42ghz

JD u need new ram quick cuzz i want to see 200fsb from that chip . I want to see 5000mem too.
im starting to consider the 2.53 c1 cuzz at 190fsb it will be 3.6ghz. im sure i can get $170 for my chip and then toss in a few bucks more for the 19x multiplyer

BTW lastride, how are u doing on ur system?

AZN
I ordered some CorsairXMS PC3500 so I'll post results on Wednesday (damn FEDEX Saver). Here is a guide to setup lower cas latency timings from within Windows. It works pretty well.

azn,

your memory timings don't look too bad to me.

I also don't realy see you doing much better with xms3500.

nice going so far.

good luck

mica

thx, im very pleased with the speed of my pc but the only thing that keeps me pushing harder is seeing people like hipro with over 5k sandra mem and others with 3.6ghz air. Normally i would keep the system the way it is till i see some1 beat me by 500mhz then its time for another upgrade ;) on air ofcourse.
only thing i really want right now is a better VC.

what kind of speeds would i get if i got ram that will do 190fsb 226cas2?

AZN

You might actually have a hard time running much faster than 2-2-2-7. I have tested 5 different pair of ddr sticks and they all had to have about the same timings on this board to be stable. I am running 2.5-2-2-7 right now, and this Twinmos is doing pretty well. I am at 4600 buff/ 2150 unbuff (which I think is a better judge anyways). That is only at 185 fsb as well. Ram timings are tough to keep real tight at these high fsb setting. Not impossible, just tough.

AZN said:
thx, im very pleased with the speed of my pc but the only thing that keeps me pushing harder is seeing people like hipro with over 5k sandra mem and others with 3.6ghz air. Normally i would keep the system the way it is till i see some1 beat me by 500mhz then its time for another upgrade ;) on air ofcourse.
only thing i really want right now is a better VC.

what kind of speeds would i get if i got ram that will do 190fsb 226cas2?

AZN
if you want scores like hipro5, then you NEED TO GIVE THE MEM MORE VOLTAGE. I told you that yesterday, and his board is heavily modded. :D

Yup, I have said from the first day I had this board that I need at least 2.8 - 3.0 options in the bios. Wish we could get a bios hacked to allow these mem timings.

PJ

jdmcnudgent said:
if you want scores like hipro5, then you NEED TO GIVE THE MEM MORE VOLTAGE. I told you that yesterday, and his board is heavily modded. :D

Back