• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4C OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HazzzMatMan

Registered
well i have a P4 2.4C chip. i have been trying to oc it for some time now, but i havent really been able to get it to be prime95 stable past 250FSB. i have upgraded my system to cope with the overclocking conditions. I have a DFI LanParty Pro 875B (rev. B1), X-Connect 500w PSU, Patriot XBL ram taht can do 533mhz with 2.5-3-3-8 timings. i have tried all voltages. from stock to 1.75. i cant seem to get it to be stable. did i get a bad chip? because i know i can eek 200-400 more mhz out of this thing. i have my ram at 1:1 with 2.5-3-3-7 timings, and its fine. I always get the prime95 errors above 250FSB. if somone could help me out with this issue, that would be great. my CPU dosent want to work over 250FSB with out atleast 1.75v. is it just a bad chip? thanks alot.

SkyFire47

Registered
have you tried different dividers other than 1:1 and see how far that will take you? i've got a 2.4c that won't go past [email protected]:1 because of my ram but will sit completely stable at [email protected]:4. from what i've read here some mobos just don't like some ram and/or a divider that you might be using it on.

WeldZilla

Definitely try the 5:4 divider and see how far you can go. If you can get to 250 1:1 there is a good chance you will go much higher on 5:4. My 2.4C goes to 309fsb @ 3710mhz! on the 5:4 divider. Which is nearly DDR 500. My mem bandwidth shot past 6600 on sandra at that setting with timing at 2.5-3-3-7. So give that 5:4 a try.

Wz

OP
H

HazzzMatMan

Registered
nope, nothing. i tried running a 4:5 divider, with a 267 FSB, so 12x267=3204. I had lose ram latencies too. i said this before, but my ram is DDR533. And at 3.2, it is running at 533. This is the second set of ram ive used. My first kind was Geil PC3200ValueRAm. i used a divider with that, but i had the SAME issue of not going past 3.0. I have my voltage at 1.60 now, and its hovering between 1.6 and 1.55. My idle temp is 24* now. Im thinkint that 3.0 is the highest i can go. ive been researching OCing this CPU for 3 days now, and im getting mad (mostly at you WeldZilla ;)) at those massive OCs, and im stuck with a 3.0. Im checking my 12v and 5v rail, with a multimeter and they are both fine. Prime95 is still getting errors like 2 seconds into a Large FET torture test. could my mobo be holding me back? the only reason i got this mobo was for the OC capabilities it offered. BOIS update maybe? i dunno what to do. ive gone into the BIOS 3 times and turned off any thing that seemed to he holding it back. i got excited when i saw "limit *somthing* 250" and i was like woohoo, but it turned out to be the keyboard. anything elce i should turn off or on? i really really really want to get a sweet OC score, as i am obsessed with getting high scores in Aquamark3, and im at 65/66,000. any more help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

batboy

Senior Moment
This is about the 5th post lately about 2.4C not going higher than 250 FSB. I wonder what's up? Are these new CPUs? If so, maybe Intel is speed binning them and only using the poor cores as 2.4C. Used to be the 2.4C was a great overclocker.

SkyFire47

Registered
^_^ i put the first one up a couple of days ago. i've actually had my 2.4c overclocked for about a year now and i've wanted to upgrade recently but still want to save money, so i'm seeing how much more i can squeeze out of my chip. i'm sure other people have had their chips too but are posting more often cuz the 2.4c threads are popping back up.

OP
H

HazzzMatMan

Registered
well sorry if im spamming, i dont want to do that. lets see if the other people with poor 2.4C OC's can post the manufacturing date. and the last few units of the product code.

Mfg date = 03/31/2004
Prod key = SL6WF

maybe i will look at other procs and get a new one, cause im kinda addicted to overclocking now. im really getting ticked off that i broke 1 darn pin off of my 3.0C CPU. i was cussing and cursing alllll day and allll night!

deathBOB

I made another 2.4C thread and I have had mine since november 2003, I just got around to OCing it now...

Where do I find that code?

OP
H

HazzzMatMan

Registered
i found mine on the side of the box. maybe there is another way to find it, but i am not sure.

batboy

Senior Moment
The packing date can only be found on the box, but the s-spec code (like SL6Z3) and the batch code will be printed on top of the CPU heat spreader (will have to remove the heatsink to see it). If you post the batch code, we can decipher where it was made and the date it was assembled.

Sky, you have a SL6Z3 which is a M0 stepping. Those babies are supposed to be the best 2.4C made. I have a SL6Z3 2.4C that I got in November of 2003. It'll run at a stable 3.55 gig. I have screen shots of it at 3.6 and 3.7 gig. But, honestly, I usually run it at 283 FSB (3.4 gig) because my Hyperram PC4200 will do that at the 1:1 ratio and because I can use low vcore.

batboy

Senior Moment
Here is the label from my 2.4C retail box. It's a week 32 of 2003.

SL6Z3.jpg

Here is the post from 14 months ago when I discovered my "brickwall" was RAM related.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2271605&postcount=15

Later, after I took the 2.4C out of my backup rig and put it into my watercooled rig with modded N/B cooling, I was able to hit the high FSB speeds. There are a couple other old threads about my adventures if you search for them.

zamac_man

Registered
I am not sure the date of my 2.4c but it was within a month or two when they came out. I can get 265fsb on stock volts but it is not stable. If I mess with the voltage it is stable with prime95 for about 3mins.

SkyFire47

Registered
i know the M0's oc well. i was so happy when i got one by chance after reading up so much on these forums. that's why i'm so eager for my new ram to come in after reading all of batboy's threads.

the new g. skill LA's are supposedly rated higher than the LE's (pc4800 instead of pc4400) so these new sticks are "supposedly" able to hit 300fsb 1:1 at ddr600 with relaxed timings.

also, quick question for batboy, what did you do to modify your NB cooling on your IC7?

bandit390

FPO/Batch: 3341A125
Pack Date: 08/31/04

Im hoping its what most everyone says, these boards hate dividers past 250 unless you have ram it happens to love.

SkyFire47

Registered
Batboy, what heatsink are you using on the proc. for the IC7 with the thermaltake tiger 1 NB cooler on it? i'm using the Zalman Cu7000a which is huge and i'm afraid that both might not fit onto the mobo together since the Zalman actually hangs out over the IC7's NB cooler.