• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4C on an IC7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rhombuss

Here's my setup:

2.4C m0 stepping /w Alpha PAL8942
IC7 with 1.9 BIOS
2 x 256MB OCZ Rev. 2 PC3200

CPU FSB = 270MHz
CPU/MEM Ratio = 5:4
MEM FSB = 216MHz

Memory running at 2.5-3-3-7

VCore = 1.6V (undervolting to around 1.58 - 1.59 V)
VDDR = 2.7V (in hardware monitor, shows as exactly 2.7V)
VAGP = 1.55V

-Hyperthreading and APIC enabled
-AGP/PCI ratio fixed
-Temperature hardware monitor hovers between 40 (idle) to around 56 (load).

Currently stable at 3.24GHz, but going higher yields crashes either before, during, or after WinXP loads up. I'm trying to hit 3.45 to 3.5 as a target, so what else should I do within safe bounds? What's a safe limit to push the VCore, and does Hyperthreading make overclocking more difficult are higher FSBs?

One more thing, I notice in hardware monitor that the 12V line on the powersupply is only showing 11.55 to 11.61. Is it just me or is that low for 12V? Could it be that it is reporting it incorrectly?

shortbus_

next time post this in the intel sections...

make sure you have agp/pci locked at 66/33 and GAT set to a-a-a-d-d.

OP
R

Rhombuss

Yeah, I noticed the Intel CPU section after posting - hopefully the mods will move it there.

I know the RAM is good up to 222MHz since I've tested it at 1:1 CPU/MEM at 2.5-3-3-7.

And when I push the FSB 270MHz, I throttle the CPU/MEM back to 3:2, so I know the RAM isn't the issue, pretty sure it's the CPU. I've heard that a lot of Abit boards report temperatures and voltages incorrectly, or even undervolt the VCore and VDDR.

What should I trust to push the VCore up? Since according to hardware monitor, the VCore is undervolted around 0.02V, but is that reading even accurate?

AudiMan

You might have a poor overclocking board. Mine won't do more than 264FSB stable. I've tried a few 2.4 MO's in my IC7 that ran happily at 280+ FSB on my abit boards. I also tried different RAM combo's.

It seems like the board has issues with the memory controller, but maybe it's just mine.

OP
R

Rhombuss

Just wanted to get one more thing clear. The Abit boards undervolt the VCore, so does that mean that the VCore that you set is undervolted and the voltage detected by the BIOS hardware monitor is the correct one? Because my hardware monitor always shows about 0.02V less than what I initially set.

Or is the BIOS hardware monitor ALSO not showing the correct voltage, and that the actual voltage is even less than what the monitor shows? So then technically there is no way of knowing the real voltage without connecting a voltimeter?