• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4C SL6WR from NewEgg, 12/26/03

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skane

Got a 2.4C SL6WR from Newegg. Ordered 12/26/03. Looks like they still have a mix of older CPUs as well as the SL6Z3's. Just wanted to report what I got for others who might be ordering from NE soon.

It's a 2003, week 29, China, pack date 11/20/03. :(
Did a quick test and my fears were confirmed... max. prime-stable is 269/3.23 GHz with 1.7 vcore on water. Guess I'll try for a SL6Z3 from ZZF or AZZO.

Roop

my 2.4C SL6WS, slightly new than that is currently at 258 on air an 1.675v. i'll try to push some more outta it but yeah, the older chips aren't that great.

Albuquerque

The "new" SL6Z3's (M0 stepping) aren't appearing to be worth much; they don't seem to be performing any better than their D0-stepping siblings.

It was the "old" original SL6Z3's that were really the killer overclockers. I had one that was within just a few weeks of when they were released, and it would do 3.2ghz on air cooling and stock voltage, and 3.4ghz on 1.6v actual and the same air cooling. Lord only knows what it could have done with my current WC rig and my newly voltmodded motherboard...

I sold it for ~$200 to PhobMX, yet another person whom I have not heard from yet! I need to PM him and see how it's going...

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
i certainly like mine! don't know the pack date, but it does 3.6 for me at 1.625v in the winter. :D

no cpu upgrades for me in the near future, just want to mod my board up.

Jimbob7

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i certainly like mine! don't know the pack date, but it does 3.6 for me at 1.625v in the winter. :D

no cpu upgrades for me in the near future, just want to mod my board up.

seems odd cant you get it stable @ 3.6 in the summer, or are you breaking some sort of temp you do not wish to.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
[BBE]Jimbob said:
seems odd cant you get it stable @ 3.6 in the summer, or are you breaking some sort of temp you do not wish to.

yea, temps are a bit higher in the summer. 3.6 is only stable if i can keep my temps waaay down, 3.458 right now with high(ish) temps. 55 full load, 1.575 bios, 1.52 actual. my next 2 projects will be watercooling and mobo modding.

i think with this much incertainty in the cpu departement, cooling is probably the soundest investment you can make.

*edit* just to be clear, i got mine in january, and it is an old sl6z3. the way i said "i like mine!" i just realized kinda made it sound like i just got it.

AudiMan

I bought an SL6Z3 a few weeks ago and it does 300 FSB with only 1.55 Vcore. My RAM only does 287 FSB though :(

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
nice audi! that won't be degrading on you anytime soon.

287 1:1 for 3.44 is pretty sweet, is that what you run it at?

AudiMan

hUMANbEATbOX said:
nice audi! that won't be degrading on you anytime soon.

287 1:1 for 3.44 is pretty sweet, is that what you run it at?

Yeah, I got this RAM at cbit. It's generic PC3200 RAM, but they had the Hynix CT-D43 chips on them. Only paid like $73 per 256MB stick, taxes included.

You can also check out Costco, they have the 512MB sticks of Kingston ValueRam with the D43 chips. I bought like 4 sticks of those and got PC4200-4300 speeds :)

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
AudiMan said:
Yeah, I got this RAM at cbit. It's generic PC3200 RAM, but they had the Hynix CT-D43 chips on them. Only paid like $73 per 256MB stick, taxes included.

You can also check out Costco, they have the 512MB sticks of Kingston ValueRam with the D43 chips. I bought like 4 sticks of those and got PC4200-4300 speeds :)

!!! they still got those? how much a stick, i could use 1gb, my bh5 is nice and all, but i don't got enough!

AudiMan

$139 a stick, but go to the one on Regent because you can hand pick them there. The Costco on St. James has the RAM locked up, so you specifically have to ask them and they get all bitchy about it.

Or you can go to cbit and ask to order 2 X 512 PC3200 sticks of Hynix RAM. Guaranteed D43 chips. :) Also, Computeravenue sells Hynix D5 RAM (PC4300) at PC3200 prices.

Just have to ask and look around, that's all :)

Mr.Guvernment

hUMANbEATbOX said:
LOL nice bump Mr!

i never did report back here what i got on my 2.4c...

lol - yeah i have a tendancy of doing that - i do a search for threads and reply - not seeing the original date - but sometimes it turns out for the best and get a thread going again and lets other people who are too lazy to use the search or go past page one to see past things discussed :D