• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4Ghz DDR357 versus 2.5Ghz DDR278

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo_peter

which one do you think is faster, personally I can probably jack my processor speed to around 2.7 but even then i still won't get the memory bandwidth I have now at 2.4 and 3:4 divider. So if my ram can't delivery there's virtually no use in faster clock speed right?

The more bandwidth you give the P4, you can see a performance gain in Benchmarks.

Don't believe me? Run your cpu at 2.4 with the 1:1 divider and run 3dmark. Then do it again and use the 3:4 divider.

If you can, the best performance would be a 2.6-2.8 overclock with a the 3:4 divider. I can run my 1.8a at 2.61 with a 4:6 divider (DDR 435).

Are you using winxp? You're temps are a little high (56C full load). You need a new hsf, if you are using the stock hsf. My full load is only up to 45C.
I asked if you were using xp because I noticed that I can overclock to 2.6 with win2k and only 2.4 stabitly with winxp pro. I'm going to see if I can turn off many of the un-needed background featues winxp has.

of course faster mem settings will give me better performance that's a given, but at higher cpu speeds does it make up for some for that performance? ya i am using XP pro SP1

Pretend the p4 cpu power is water. And pretend it has to go through a pvc pipe, 1/2inch (bandwidth). You can only have so much water going through the pipe.

Did you run 3dmark yet? Better yet, try 3dmark with 2.4 and 3:4 divider and then try it again with 2.6-2.8 with lower memory dividers. Which ever one shows a higher score is faster.

i know the pipe analogy but then so many people are slower memory compared to their cpu freq, so it's not that simple.

Back