• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.53b and ddr400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n24tg

Registered
i have a p4 2.53 running on an asus p4s8x, with corsair xms (512-3200C2PT v1.1). i also have a Tt Spark. my cpu will not go past 2.8 at 1.7 vcore, and even then, prime95 wont last long. is it cuz i havent set my ram right? my bios? or do i just have an unstable cpu. also, will it do me any good to oc my ram since it can run faster than my cpu?

how did you overclock the thing? Did you just do the normal and increase the FSB number? In that case the ram is still running far under its rated speed, and is not holding you back. Even if you set the divider to 3:2 the ram should still be OK. One other thing you should check is the PCI/AGP divider. I am not familiar with that board, but I think that it has a PCI/AGP lock. If that is the case set the frequency under the PCI/AGP setting to 33/66 or lock (or maybe auto). Also, what kind of temperatures are you getting in the bios, if your cooling is not very good that may be the problem.

As for overclocking your RAM, yes you can do that and get an increase in speed. What you will want to do is set the RAM/CPU frequency ratio to 3:2, and then your RAM will be running 3 fsb for every 2 that the CPU is.

good luck!

cooling is certainly not a problem because of the Tt Spark. its one of the top rated air coolers. i havent got temps over 120f on prime95

yes, i was ocing the reg way, and you really think that the pci/agp thing would cause my cpu to be unstable?

I had a SL685 P4 2.53B. The best Prime95 stable OC I could get to was 2.88/152 FSB @ 1.575 Vcore. It would boot into windows at 3.0 Ghz, and play games at 2.9+, but was never Prime stable above 152 FSB. I even upped the voltage to 1.675 Vcore, but it did not seem to help stability. Your CPU may just be maxed out.

Back