• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 computers in one case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andy71600

I just got to thinking how cool it would be to be able to have your computer and a server... or just another computer in one case. and now I am wondering if this would be possible. Has anyone else here tried it? I have to go buy some ram and a hsf. Then ill be good to go. If anyone has any tips or anything... please!!

dorimon81

I guess that it could be possible. You would definately have to do some case modifications before you can put a second motherboard in, but that would definately be a sweet project. Keep us updated on how the project goes.

Zerileous

I think it would be pretty easily do-able as long as you had really good airflow and a large enough case. Basically you would have 2 options, mount second mobo (micro ATX largest) above first and sacrafice most of your CD-Roms (6 bay antec style server, 2 drives left) OR mount an ATX mobo across the case on the other side panel. You would have to do some shoehorning to make sure everything fits and airflow would have to be amazing, 2x the computers=2x the heat.

OP
A

Andy71600

i heare ya about the heat. That is actually what i was thinking about... putting the other mobo on the side pannel. One of the mobos has onboard video, sound, and lan so i wont have to worry about pci/agp cards getting in the way of eachother. The case is pretty large so everything should fit. I am planning to have quite a few fans running in there to deal with the heat. We will see how it turns out as soon as i get that ram and hs.

DaveSauce

ducting would be one way to solve the air cooling problem....also you could put dual 120mm fans in the front for intake , mebbe another in back (prolly a smaller fan) and a couple on the top. You would DEFINATELY have to use a full-tower case, because you would need 2 power supplies.

but why not do water cooling? That's going to be the best way to keep everything cool....air cooling might raise some issues (as well as temperatures).....

chkptcharlie

one way this would be really cool, is if you custom made the case, and have it split in half, and open to show both setups. kinda like 2 slim cases joined together at a swivel point, and the inside section of the cases could either be open, or clear. i know if i were at a LAN and saw something liek that i'd faint.

some ideas also to note. the idea of a linux server and a windows machine in 1 box is phat. you could sacrifice the drives(except for hdds) on a nix box, and just send everything it needs via the lan card.

as for cooling, if you're going to need large ammounts of airflow, perhaps a fan array would work.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
do you want them both on at the same time

or just one at a time

OP
A

Andy71600

I am going to make it so that i am able to have them both on at the same time just to be safe.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Here ya go ;)

My version of the concept.

I know that at least a few others have done the same kind of thing, but no two executions of the idea have been alike- at least not that I have ever seen.

Note that the case I have pictured is...HUGE.
When I did mine it was not a new idea either, but I did do two thing that I had never heard of:
It had only one hdd and the other machine used LTSP to get the operating system from the server.
One system was Intel Duallie, other was AMD. :)

I have seen some others that were done as gaming rigs for two....

With the newer stuff around now- mATX boards, etc, I would think you could build a fantastic dual system nowadays, and have it be quite portable for lans:
Separate server and gaming pc in one box perhaps?

It was a fun project and I hope you try one too- post results!

OP
A

Andy71600

rogerdugans said:

Separate server and gaming pc in one box perhaps?
That is exactly what i was thinkig. Either that or 2 servers. One is an amd system and the other is intel that i will be using, and i have to ask how you did this with just one hd?

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
What I did would not be suitable for a gaming system at all-
I used K12LTSP which is a RedHat/Fedora-based Linux distribution with added Terminal Server packages.
The AMD system booted from a floppy disk and connected to the Duallie (Terminal Server) over ethernet. The linux os was then sent over ethernet back to the Terminal and set up in a ramdisk, essentially.

Linux gaming can be done but it is tough at times......and a Terminal PC (the one with no drive) would not be suitable as a game pc or server of course!

What could work very well is laptop drives. :)
With the modern space requirements people have, it is possible to find smallish (8 to 20 gig) laptop drives available at a fairly low price, and adapters are not too expensive either.

OP
A

Andy71600

i didnt know that you could buy converters to make laptop components useable in a desktop. THat is most likely the route i am goign to go... since you said the 1 hd isnt going to be good for much of anying.

Minx

Registered
double processors

Cool idea...
If i had the $$$ i would try the same:)

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
get a cube case, and do it that way, that would be the easiest solution..

about the only way to mount them facing each other would be to heavily mod the case to fit it. It could be done in a lian li full tower, doubtful in an antec full tower, because they are not very deep, and not very wide....

OP
A

Andy71600

well i got my parts... i will most likely be starting my project tomorrow :)

k3nshin

i've seen a case mod wheer a person had two compouters put together, but he made the case look like a V8 car engine. i dont remember where i saw it.

OP
A

Andy71600

there's where the problem is... i... uhh... dropped my digi cam in a lake, so the pics i post are going to be ones that i took from my phone. So no complaints about the quality!! :mad: