• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 dual channel 1 single? reply now plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

razor2003

Registered
i am about to buy more memory right now i have pc4000 2 sticks of 256 running dual channel on my mobo,
I was wondering if i got another stick of 512 (one chip) and put it in my 3rd slot will my other 2 still run in dual channel and my new stick in single until i get another 512.
256 | 256| || 512
will it run ?

memory are same brand and speed

Randyman...

NOPE. Dual Channel RAM needs to be IDENTICAL in most applications, and MUST be used in Pairs (to my limited knowledge). Any experts care to vouge? :cool:

JTanczos

Only way you can still run dual channel is to have the 2 256s on 1 channel and the 512 on the other. Dunno if thats what you pic is but if thats what it is then yes you can do that. Your board should be color coded. 256s go in the blue and 512 in black. Or vice versa.

When you get the second 512 you put 1 256 and 1 512 in blue and the other 1 in black. Gotta keep both sides even.

JT

Randyman...

I think I recall in the ASUS manual, that you had to run 2 or 4 sticks. 3 sticks forces single channel mode (on my MoBo at least)...

OP
R

razor2003

Registered
Randyman... said:
NOPE. Dual Channel RAM needs to be IDENTICAL in most applications, and MUST be used in Pairs (to my limited knowledge). Any experts care to vouge? :cool:

will i still have dual C in my 256 * 2 ?
right now my 256 chips are identical they are Geil pc4000 i bought in a package ?
and i plan on buying 512 geil pc4000 alone and put it in my 3rd slot

will i get a performece decrease?

>>yes, you'll still be in DC config-

Any one else can confirm this? i want to be 100% sure before i make the buy in 5 min.

btw i have an Abit ic7-G board
and all of the slots are colored blue

just wanted to make sure if i loost dual channel in the 2 256's once i add a single 512

vidgion

ive never had a board force SC config when using 3 or 4 dimms-

amd nor intel platforms have done this to me-

Randyman...

Read Your Manual - Quickly! (To be 100% sure). This was a few months back, but I swear I read that 2 or 4 sticks are needed for the P4C800E-Dlx. Sorry if I'm wrong. Still a noob...

If it won't work (it seems it WILL work by what the pros have said), just sell your 2x256 on eBay, and buy some DC 1Gig ram...

OP
R

razor2003

Registered
1 more thing, will i see a performance boost if i have 1.5 gigs of ram as opposed to 1 gig?
and is it worth the $$?

all running Dual
i play games
pentium 4 2.8 @ 3.2 Ghz

vidgion

1 gig is more than enough but 1.5 will surely help, i know in photoshop i almost run outta memory with 1 gig-

also learn more about swap filing on your drive(s) for gaming to increase performance-

drenader

Intel dual-channel systems are different. The have either two or four slots, and to run dual channel mode must have either one or two pairs of (hopefully) matching modules. Running three modules on a P4 system will force it to run in single channel mode, and is therefore to be avoided.
Got that from one of the stickys

Dre
ps not sure if its right just thought that might be were that one guy read it from.

SilverJag

Sorry to use ur post on this but, if you have two identical memory chips in dual channel (Mushkin 222 special 256*2) can you put another brand and speed of ram in single channel? Will it work? Will overclockability and performace decrease slightly?

Randyman...

drenader said:
Intel dual-channel systems are different. The have either two or four slots, and to run dual channel mode must have either one or two pairs of (hopefully) matching modules. Running three modules on a P4 system will force it to run in single channel mode, and is therefore to be avoided.

drenader said:
Got that from one of the stickys
ps not sure if its right just thought that might be were that one guy read it from.

I knew I read that SOMEWHERE. I have not checked my Asus manual, but I recall seeing it there, too... :cool: