• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 games that should be remade...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tie Fighter. Not X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter, just Tie Fighter (was around before XvsTie).

Dont know if anyone remembers it, but I honestly think it was by far one of the best games created in the 90's. It took 6 floppy disks to install. Man, I loved that game. It was basically a flight sim, with TONS of missions to complete.

Used to use a joystick to play it. My god that wouuld be a great game in multiplayer.

+9000000000

I want to see a remake of Turbo Trek. It was a turn-based game of starship combat based on the non-canon Star Trek universe. It had adequate graphics for the time (EGA) and simple PC speaker sound but the gem of this game was the gameplay, both single and multiplayer, and the level of details with starship systems/weapons/damage was done very well. You could do other neat things like transport sensor jamming pods around your ship, transport mines to the vicinity of other ships, transport damage control teams to help another ship with repairs, or transport sabotage teams to ships or starbases with lowered shields. Many times the sabotage team would break a vital component, such as warp drive or phasers, and that would render that ship's system destroyed. If they captured the ship then you'd gain control over that ship and would get to allocate energy points to it at the next round, that is if you could keep the ship itself from being destroyed as it was usually half operable and definitely lacking shields by the time you transported enough teams to capture it. Often direct photon torpedo hits would cause collateral damage to nearby objects, and if the ship being hit had weak shields or no shields the blast would usually cause secondary explosions on the target ship that would do the same kind of damage as sabotage, or you might even get that lucky secondary explosion that ruptured the ship's hull and then that ship was toast. You also had tractor beams so you could fend off Romulan plasma torpedoes or incoming drone missiles, some ships had cloaking devices (including the Federation's three-nacelle battlecruiser), and some of the non-canon Trek stuff like the Kzinti (from The Animated Series) had some ships in the game as well. It also had Orion ships, useless unarmed civilian ships, and even the Borg cube was an available ship (and you needed pit a fleet against it to have a chance). One of the sample scenarios the game came with was called "BORGWAR" and had a description that simply said "witness destruction..." It was nothing but one Borg cube against twenty Federation ships all controlled by the computer, and it ended the same way everytime - just like Wolf 359. :)

To have this game completely redone with modern graphics and sound effects, more ships and races to choose from, more weapons, but still keep the same style of gameplay, that would be exciting. One of my gripes with Turbo Trek is that you were limited to a total of 30 objects on the screen (counting ships/starbases/mines/pods/missiles/plasma torpedos/planets/etc) which would limit you from having huge battles with fleets of starships facing each other. A neat and useful bug/feature of the game was that you could "over-repair" a damaged system. Say your phaser banks took damage and were reading at 80% status, and you had 40 damage control points, you could repair the phasers to 120% and each phaser shot would be 20% stronger then normal. Overrepairing a system too much could have the opposite effect and render the system useless, such as boosting the shields too high. It was a very fun game. Unfortunately Paramount went after the developers of Turbo Trek shortly after the game was released and demanded they change certain elements in the game, such as changing the name of "phasers" to "pulsars", and removing references to Star Trek (they didn't remove them all). The developers released a final version that had those changes and included a ship editor, and that was it.

Last edited:
Star Wars Galaxies -- before all the 'enhancements.'

The original game just needed to be balanced. The whole "play the game like you want to in a virtual 'sandbox' " was the best MMO idea ever. Then, they just turned it into WoW with blasters.

The crafting system was second to none as well.

Any word lately on the emulators?

SWGEmu has had a test server running for quite a while. Some professions (all?) still don't have any missions available, and there's no tutorial, AFAIK. You can hunt and survey and mine and craft, though.

Back