• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 PSU's + "SLI" config?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thunder888

After my last upgrade, my PSU has taken shots to keep everything happy. Instability and random reboots are making me old :mad:

Now, new PSU = expensive and my wife is already ****ed over the money spent on the upgrade :clap: Aah, women, but I digress.

Anyway, I've got a spare 250W PSU laying around and I thought to myself: why not use one PSU for the mobo and associated gear, and the other PSU for powering all my fans and drives? Hopefully then the instability will go away.

I'm on my way to trying this out this afternoon, as soon as I get back from work. I've done all the research on the power requirements for the discrete components, and hopefully everything works.

So, has anybody else tried running 2 PSU's in "SLI" to do what I'm about to try? Any tips, or "You're f#$king crazy" advice?

Baowuf

Registered
Thunder888 said:
After my last upgrade, my PSU has taken shots to keep everything happy. Instability and random reboots are making me old :mad:

Anyway, I've got a spare 250W PSU laying around and I thought to myself: why not use one PSU for the mobo and associated gear, and the other PSU for powering all my fans and drives? Hopefully then the instability will go away.

I'd double check to verify that the PSU is the culprit. DMM on an unused molex connector should provide a quick answer. Also remember to test under load.

Thunder888 said:
I'm on my way to trying this out this afternoon, as soon as I get back from work. I've done all the research on the power requirements for the discrete components, and hopefully everything works.

So, has anybody else tried running 2 PSU's in "SLI" to do what I'm about to try? Any tips, or "You're f#$king crazy" advice?

Have we got the thread for you here. :)
There's a number of online walkthroughs along with various comments and suggestions there.

Yes there are a number of people that have a configuration like you describe. Some people also have 2 PSU's in parallel so the volt fluxuation is decreased. But both approaches do basically the same thing: add more power to a struggling system.

Best of luck, and watch those wires!