• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 way CPU modded to a 4 way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martindemon

Do you think it would be possible to mod a 2 way CPU to a 4 way for a quad CPU motherboard? I like so much 4 CPU motherboard that i could spend 1000$ for one, but i would certainly not spend 12000$ in CPU :eek: I don't really care if that would be with xeon or opteron (i found only one athlon MP 4 way system but they don't give the price... I would have liked to build a "cheap" 4-way athlon MP...)

Xenocide

maybe im just retarted, the only smp ive run is a dual amd mp with a k7d, but uh i think he means modding 2 cpus to fit into 4 sockets..? which makes no sense to me, someone please explain

OP
martindemon

martindemon

There are motherboards which have 4 sockets (four way systems) and they are expensive (1000$ and more) but the worst is the CPUs compatible with those 4 way motherboards are almost 10 times as expensive compared to normal CPUs that we use for single or dual CPU systems. I just wondered if there was a way to take for exemple two ordinary 512Mb xeons 2.8 and mod them to be able to use them in a 4 CPU motherboard without having to pay 12000$ more...

See:
http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=1833100&affid=10000485

sandman001

Just Freeze It
He means making an Athlon XP MP chip into one that would work ina quad-cpu setup.

Like buying four 2-way chips and making them four 4-way chips, if that makes any sense.

Dc5e

you can run quad xeons i believe... but i don't think you can run quad athlons unless they're opterons

OP
martindemon

martindemon

Dc5e said:
you can run quad xeons i believe... but i don't think you can run quad athlons unless they're opterons

The four-way opteron is three to four times as expensive compared to the identically clocked two-way opteron. I know i can buy 4 opteron 840 chips for something like 3000$ but that's still expensive. I i could find a way to mod 4 opteron 240 CPUs that would be way better :)

disk11

There is no easy way, and it's most definatly not worth the time or money needed (re-engineer the processors).

OP
martindemon

martindemon

You mean there really are features in the 8xx serie that are not in the 2xx serie? I tought it was that way but i just wanted to be sure... Now i'll just do two dual :)

emboss

For Opterons, the limit on the scalability is the number of coherent HT links (the ones that are used for CPU to CPU communication) that are enabled. For the 1xx series, there are no coherent links enabled (ie: no SMP possible), for the 2xx series there is a single coherent link enabled (ie: only 2-way possible) and for the 8xx series i beleive there are 3 enabled (though I'm not entirely sure).

Again, I have no idea of how things work on the Xeon DP/MP, though such things could easily be applied by limiting the targets available for APIC interactions.

3line

jimstandard said:
just wait for dual core processors

In case you haven't been keeping up with the threads, the topic starter is working on his doctorate in engineering and needs the flops and needs them now ;)

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
3line said:
In case you haven't been keeping up with the threads, the topic starter is working on his doctorate in engineering and needs the flops and needs them now ;)

I can't see anywhere that the thread starter said this?

*EDIT* Ok, I found the other thread where he mentioned this.

Mr.Guvernment

not possible i beleive as one metioned it is like changing the multiplier on the p4 - it is likely embedded into the chip's die somewhere :( but good luck