• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$2000 build, thoughts on my choices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shizmoo

Computer I built 8 years ago fried on me and new hardware won't support what's left besides power supply:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MrCkVn

Some parts I'm dead set on like the i7-6700k, but some I have questions:

1. The Noctura NH-D15 seems to perform great and is popular. Is this the best air cooler around $100? What would be the max over clock on the i7-6700k I would be able to achieve with decent temps with this cooler?

2. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower was a popular choice I saw. I don't care about looks as I do temperatures, is there a similar priced full tower with better air flow?

3. As much as I want, I can't drop another 500 on a IPS monitor with 144hz. Can Asus VN248H-P be overclocked and is it safe to? Is it better than the nearly identical Acer H236HL bid? I went with the Asus because it has 2 HDMI ports.

All I can think of at the moment, thanks for any help.

There is absolutely no way I would re-use an 8 year old power supply in a new build. Especially if the system it was in fried. The internals do wear out and it could be part of the reason your last system went up in smoke.

Noctua is a solid cooler. Probably the best you can do without switching over to an AIO.

Personally I would either get an air cooled 980ti or I would do a custom water loop.

No idea about overclocking that particular monitor, but a google search didn't return much info about doing so. I heard people having success OCing those early korean IPS displays, but not much about it since a couple years ago.

The 950 is a great drive, but might be overkill depending on how you plan to use the machine. If you don't need the sequential read speed or high IO then you could get a very very good SATA based drive for 1/3 of the cost. That could go towards your new PSU or a larger monitor.

I would get a little faster memory. 2400 is probably the minimum I would buy...maybe this

Thanks for the response. I wasn't thinking concerning the power supply. The original one went out and I bought a thermaltake smart M series M850W 3-4 years ago or so. I would assume it is still good.

I don't know what AIO is, but I'm open to anything around the Noctura price range for lower temps on over clocking the i7.

I researched more and discovered the zotac amp extreme is the best 980 gtx ti, so I'm going with that.

I did research more overclocking IPS monitors and found you can hit 120hz on a PLS qnix or whatever. I think I might bite the bullet and get a 144hz IPS by bumming money from a friend.

As far as the memory, I need to research speeds if it matters a lot or not. I'll check your link.

Aio is all in one. They are self contained plug and play water coolers. Corsair or nzxt probably make the most popular ones, but unless you really want to push your chip a noctua will be fine.

Don't know the specifics about your psu, but if it was a high quality unit then it probably has some life left, if it was cheaply made then is probably replace it. Look for reviews.

How exactly did your old system fry? Like I said before I'd be weary about reusing any parts from a cooked system unless you know how and why the system failed and can guarantee the psu is good.

Memory speeds don't make a huge difference, but if tog can get faster stuff with lower latency for $5 why not do it.

I did research more overclocking IPS monitors and found you can hit 120hz on a PLS qnix or whatever. I think I might bite the bullet and get a 144hz IPS by bumming money from a friend.

Just a heads up, all of the 144hz monitors I've seen are TN panels, and I doubt a 144hz IPS panel could even exist due to the response time limitations.

Back