• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sPaNk

Registered
Well i'm in the market for a new CPU, but having a hard time deciding what to buy. I was thinking a 2700+, but everyone is saying to buy a 2100+ instead.

If I buy a 2100+ t-bred b-core (say AUIHB), will the processor be locked or unlocked? If it is locked, do I just connect the 5th bridge on the L3 to unlock? I was hoping not to have to cut any bridges or use any wire methods.

What about the 2700+? Is it locked or unlocked?

Whatever CPU i'm buying, it is going to replace the following:

900 Tbird @ 1002 (soon to be ????)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Uber-S 1002 Bios)
1 x 512MB Samsung PC2700 memory (2.5 cas)
SLK-800 w/ Y&S Tech 74 mm TMD fan on order (currently Alpha Pal 6035)
Thermaltake Purepower 420w PSU
Radeon 64 MB DDR (to be upgraded next)
Maxtor 7200 40 GB
Maxtor 7200 10 GB
Toshiba M1402 DVD
Lite-on 40x12x48 CDRW
NEC 19" multisync FE950
Windows XP Home
Soundstorm 5.1 sound (mobo)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

sPaNk

I think you should buy a 2100+ (AIUHB) and use the extra money for some better RAM (PC3200 or better). The RAM should probably be your first choice since you will want to get a good everclock out of it. Corsair XMS PC3200LL (LL=Low Latency) would be my choice. That should allow you somewhere around a 200 FSB on the A7N8X.

Next you should definately get a new video card. Especially if this is going to be a gaming system. I would get a Radeon 9500 or a Radeon 9700 Pro if you can afford it. But either one will be a big improvement over your current card (assuming that's an original Radeon).

Joker76 said:
I think you should buy a 2100+ (AIUHB) and use the extra money for some better RAM (PC3200 or better). The RAM should probably be your first choice since you will want to get a good everclock out of it. Corsair XMS PC3200LL (LL=Low Latency) would be my choice. That should allow you somewhere around a 200 FSB on the A7N8X.

Next you should definately get a new video card. Especially if this is going to be a gaming system. I would get a Radeon 9500 or a Radeon 9700 Pro if you can afford it. But either one will be a big improvement over your current card (assuming that's an original Radeon).

I completely agree with everything Joker76 has said here. Get the AIUHB 2100+ more bang for the buck. Try a place like excaliburpc.com or pcnut.com to get the exact stepping that your looking for. Faster RAM, and a better video card with extra cash.

GL dude

I've got an AIUHB and it's treated me really well; I've got a 2.3GHz CPU for $100 :D And as it's been said before, the 2700 doesn't offer the same performance/price ratio. Definitely get some new RAM and vid card.

~THT

Back