• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Opteron That Is Not An Opteron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Full Article - Overclockers.Com

From The Atricle "The Opteron That Is Not An Opteron - Ed Stroligo - 8/4/03
Throw Away Your RAM

TechReport reports that the 940-pin "Athlon64" will require registered RAM to operate. That means your current unbuffered RAM won't work with it.

Searching in Pricewatch got one result, a Corsair 512Mb module for $137, but that was a Pricewatch misprint. Zero results for Pricescan.

So, right now, there's zero registered DDR400 memory.

Eventually, some is bound to show up, but expect to pay a $10-$15 premium over unbuffered sticks. Also expect slightly lower memory scores from it.

Not too big a deal if you're building a system from scratch, but an additional unwelcome cost for the average person reading this who is upgrading from a socket A board.

Cost

AMDZone reports that Athlon64s will be priced at a "small premium" over XPs.

That sounds good until you look at the current XP prices at those speeds, and just what you may be getting from your money.

Remember, there's "little" and "big" Athlon64s. The 2800+ mentioned in particular has so far only been seen in roadmaps in the "little" or socket 754 version. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that came in at $125-150.

Most of the rest will probably be $250 or more.

Perhaps more importantly, since AMD is apparently scared excrement-less at the thought that potential Opteron buyers might buy "big" Athlon64s instead, don't expect the price of "big" Athlon64s to differ very much from the price of 1XX series Opterons.

NOTE: This Information Is Edited :- Reading The Full Article Is Recomended

1) Are you willing to change your Ram ?
2) Does the information here change your opinion of the Operton and AMD 64 ?
3) Is the lack of memory suitable for these motherboards going to be a long term problem ?
4) Is AMD providing enough information regarding the AMD64 processors and motherboards
5) Are AMD heading for a public relation disaster
6) Are you waiting for AMD 64 ?... whats your thoughts on this matter

I think the lack of proper ram to run in these boards may annoy some people. If people already have like 1 gig or 512 meg of ram, and they have to buy new ram to run in this board, they may not be too happy about it. I think there should be a way to run "regular" ram in these boards too. I'd like one of these, but i will have to see how the boards are with features. Maybe AMD should give a little more information here, if it is possible.

To me, The Athlon 64 looks like one of the biggest flop... I was watching the ClawHammer news because, since I was an AMD fan, I wanted to change my current platform to the socker 754... But the more and more I read, the less and less the ClawHammer/Athlon 64 platform became attractive to me. First there is this RAM problem: I want DCDDR ! Where the heck do you want to go with single channel DDR when Intel already has DualChannel DDR400 !?!? Then there is the compatibility issue... If I buy a new platform... Will it be futurproof or I'll have to buy a new motherboard or even RAM....

What kind of flop, you must be a soothsayer to see all whats coming, why do you wait until the actual pdkt is shipped and benchmarked , all you have is just rumors, be patient man :D

I most certainly wouldnt want to have £100 stick of memory I only just baught lying around because I ahve to go and spend another £100 on another stick...

doesnt change my opinion, as I already have a low outlook on it.

the lack of memory I would say short term rather than long, as I should imagine it wont be long until that it is available

UnseenMenace said:

1) Are you willing to change your Ram ?
2) Does the information here change your opinion of the Operton and AMD 64 ?
3) Is the lack of memory suitable for these motherboards going to be a long term problem ?
4) Is AMD providing enough information regarding the AMD64 processors and motherboards
5) Are AMD heading for a public relation disaster
6) Are you waiting for AMD 64 ?... whats your thoughts on this matter
1. No. I already have 1GB of DDR400 which i fully intend to use in my next upgrade.
2. No, its all smoke and mirrors at this point.
3. No, ECC DDR400 is only a short while away and IBM is already shipping Chipkill memory with their Opteron servers so it really isn't that far away or expensive.
4. No.
5. Depends. In the computer enthusiast community? Yes. In the places where it matters? No.
6. I am waiting for Athlon64 and trying to sell my current rig because i want my next purchase to be an Athlon64 or Prescott, both of which offer a significant increase over my current system. One offers SMT, one offers an onboard memory controller. OTOH, one produces a lot of heat (103W TDP is a lot no matter how you slice it) and one doesn't seem to be grounded in reality. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm keeping my money firmly in my pocket till i see benchmarks.

The_Punisher29 said:
First there is this RAM problem: I want DCDDR ! Where the heck do you want to go with single channel DDR when Intel already has DualChannel DDR400 !?!? Then there is the compatibility issue... If I buy a new platform... Will it be futurproof or I'll have to buy a new motherboard or even RAM....
Well, for one, just going after the competitor's buzzwords isn't advisable or feasible in the long run. So what if the Athlon64 doesn't have DCDDR. I'll buy it if it smacks around even the FOUR MULTIPAL CPU'S OHMYGOD Prescott.
The compatibility issue actually looks good against the competitor's upgrade path - "well, we advertised it as compatible, but it may not be, let's wait till release to find out, eh?" or "yeah you bought a new motherboard now, you'll have to buy a new motherboard in December, and a new motherboard and RAM in Spring 2004. uh, and a new graphics card too."

It's true Intel doesn't do any better... but I though to have more from AMD... ;) Well it seems that I was rong and all CPU companies are the same...

1) No I wouldnt be but then again I can take the 754 route rather than the 940.
2) To be honest whilst I am anticipating its launch and look forward to some early benchmarks - the lack of substantive information available about the A64 means I have not formed a definitive opinion on it yet.
3) Dont see it as a problem - ECC DDR400 might even be launched around the same time as the A64.
4) See point 2 above!
5) PR disaster? Unlikely AMD will think so if it captures PC market share from Intel - especially if the rumoured Gateway tie-in occurs.
6) I have an XP2000 at the moment so whilst the A64 is definitely something I will consider I require more information about it before committing - especially if the 0.09 version was going to be available in 2004 - but again that is speculation at present!

Could I suggest that the current drip feeding of information that AMD is doing at present is part of their marketing strategy in order to increase anticipation? It's entirely possible - whether it is misguided or not!

Another difference between S462 and S754 is that they are for entirely different processors.

Opterons overclocking now

There's a stickied thread over at T-Break Forums that Ed mentioned on the front page.

The first few pages are a good read but then degesses to a fanboy bicker fest. There's a few good nuggets further down in the thread if you don't mind hunting for them in over eleven pages so far.

Back