• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

226w pelt voltage ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

This pelt has a max voltage of 15.1 but i see most ppl are only useing 12v? I remember reading in one of the threads that the extra voltage added to the pelt adds alot of heat to the hot side and only 1 - 2c on the cold side? Is this true and is the extra heat worth the 1 - 2c on the cold side?

Since87

Without good watercooling on the pelt, you won't even get better temperatures above 12V. Your CPU temperature may well go up as you go from 12V to 15V.

wayne harrow

Registered
Well of course the reason you would be using a tec is for good temps so if your PSu and watercooling can handel it then theres no reason not to.

OP
S

skinart

The water kooling system is more then enough on this rig but its trying to find a psu that has all of the specs for the pelt 15.1v, 24 amp constant, you can find lots of 12v psu's but i have yet to see a 15.1? if anyone knows of one pleeze point it out!

wayne harrow

Registered
I use a Lowe SPS8400 variable 0-15.1v @ 40amps try and see if you can get hold of one of them it costs about £100 in the UK but heres a pic:

PSU.JPG

Since87

wayne harrow said:
Well of course the reason you would be using a tec is for good temps so if your PSu and watercooling can handel it then theres no reason not to.

There is a reason not to. Someone is paying for the electricity powering the pelt. When you go from 12V to 15V the power consumption of the pelt goes up by 150 Watts. If you've got a 70% efficient power supply, you have to multiply that number by 10/7 to get the additional power out of the wall. That gives you 214 Watts of additional power consumption going from 12V to 15V. My price for electricity is $0.07/kWh. This additional electricity will cost me $131 per year.

You've got an adjustable supply there Wayne. Have you actually got a 226W TEC connected to it? Have you tried running it at 12V and 15V and comparing the loaded CPU temperature once it has stabilized?

I'll bet you don't even get 2C for that extra 200 Watts.

Also, with winter coming up, that extra 200 Watts of heat in the room may be no big deal. But when it's summer or if you live in a warm climate it's gonna have a big impact.

Warlord2

man thats a lot of power, Im going to be powering 2 tec and a compressor pretty soon, I cant wait to see how many fuses I will blow:eek:

when I was looking for psu I found a ton of nice ones in the UK, almost none in US though:( you can try ebay for one, thats where I picked up mine (yet to get it to work though:mad: )

wayne harrow

Registered
There is about a 3 degrees difference but i had my fans hocked up to the PSU aswell so when the voltage of the tec varies the fan voltage allso varies so the water temp was 6 degrees above amient allways. Im not running my Tec ATM but as soon as i use it again ill post some figures.

Since87

It would be interesting to know how much of that 3C is the increase in airflow.

If you would be interested, some experiments with your system could yield some valuable information for the TEC simulation effort being discussed in this thread.

What I had in mind, was something like the following:

1. Move the radiator fan to a fixed 12V supply. (This would keep the water cooling at a constant C/W)

2. Set the processor clocking to the factory settings.

3. Set the TEC supply at 15V

4. Let the processor run loaded for an hour.

5. Record every temperature you have access to. (for example; ambient, on die, socket thermistor, MOBO, water temp, etc.)

6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 except with the voltage dropped 1V. Continue repeating the 1V drop until the CPU temp is 40C+. (Or as high as you are willing to go.)

This data would allow me to calculate a ballpark number for "Rins" which represents the heat that leaks through the processor pins and other heat leakage paths. Lack of a good value for Rins is one of the biggest issues in the way of being able to calculate pelt CPU cooling accurately.

This would be a fair amount of work to do right, but if you'd be willing to do it, let me know.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
I would run it at 12volts. For the simple fact when you increase the voltage to the pelt you only increase the watts of heat it puts off not the cooling.

wayne harrow

Registered
Klownin79 said:
I would run it at 12volts. For the simple fact when you increase the voltage to the pelt you only increase the watts of heat it puts off not the cooling.

The cooling does increase when you upp the voltage just because tecs work at there optimum at 80% or whatever does not mean there cooling does not get better at higher volatges because it does.

wayne harrow

Registered
Since87 said:
It would be interesting to know how much of that 3C is the increase in airflow.

If you would be interested, some experiments with your system could yield some valuable information for the TEC simulation effort being discussed in this thread.

What I had in mind, was something like the following:

1. Move the radiator fan to a fixed 12V supply. (This would keep the water cooling at a constant C/W)

2. Set the processor clocking to the factory settings.

3. Set the TEC supply at 15V

4. Let the processor run loaded for an hour.

5. Record every temperature you have access to. (for example; ambient, on die, socket thermistor, MOBO, water temp, etc.)

6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 except with the voltage dropped 1V. Continue repeating the 1V drop until the CPU temp is 40C+. (Or as high as you are willing to go.)

This data would allow me to calculate a ballpark number for "Rins" which represents the heat that leaks through the processor pins and other heat leakage paths. Lack of a good value for Rins is one of the biggest issues in the way of being able to calculate pelt CPU cooling accurately.

This would be a fair amount of work to do right, but if you'd be willing to do it, let me know.

Yea ill definately give that a go. Im just waiting on a few parts but as soon as i get them ill try it out.