• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24-7 and Bong Coolers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i still like the idea of a toilet valve to just add water. or you could just have another tank with water that has your mixture of water and biocide together that was connected to the toiled valve. Put a level reader on the dispenser and just fill when it gets low.

The classic float valve in a swamp cooler makes the most sense. Only the water evaporates, the biocide levels should be fairly stable.

Colin (Jun 08, 2001 01:21 a.m.):
The classic float valve in a swamp cooler makes the most sense. Only the water evaporates, the biocide levels should be fairly stable.

thats what makes the most sense. The cooler/resevoir idea sounds nice because you don't have to have a water line near yourr computer.

if cost was NO issue, I'd suggest just running a hose from the piping in your house, and then having the water that leaves the waterblock pass into the drains. I mean, that way you'd have icy cold water all the time, and you wouldn't need a pump, radiator/cooling tower OR resevoir...that's if cost was NO issue :)

Spewn (Jun 08, 2001 08:09 a.m.):
if cost was NO issue, I'd suggest just running a hose from the piping in your house, and then having the water that leaves the waterblock pass into the drains. I mean, that way you'd have icy cold water all the time, and you wouldn't need a pump, radiator/cooling tower OR resevoir...that's if cost was NO issue :)

I thought about this a while back. There is a difference between cost and practical. :)

It may just be practical if the output of the system could replace your hot water heater :) hon I need to take a shower can you turn the computer on! hehehe

lol, only a cyrix cpu could accomplish that ;) But seriously, it's perfectly practical to do what I suggested, your water bills would just go through the roof. I really don't know what kind of flow-rate you'd get, or how much water costs...but I'm sure it wouldn't be cost effective.

I know in some areas the water utilities just charge a flat rate, and don't actually mesure how much water you use. That's why you can these sort of pirate generators that generate electricity from your water flow, giving in effect free energy. Been hearing about these cause I live in California. (rolling blackouts)

We have a water shortage out here in Kalifornia. Our water here is metered, we pay for it and it's processed in a septic tank. This is what I meant by not practical.

A bump for the new folks and the new improved hybrid photo. There is a 1/2" foam pad that floats inside the Igloo cooler.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=50044077[/URL]"]

I tried this petwarehouse pump HERE. (it dosen't look much like the picture) this thing is just scary. Kind of loud but a nice loud. Anyways it moves alot of water, ALOT and is kind of the el cheapo version of what Colin pointed out. But it does remind me of a powertool when it is running. Kind of like a mini circular saw without the blade. If it was in a cabinet it would be perfectly fine as far as noise goes but it is bigger than you would expect and definately gives the impression that it has alot of .....momentum? 1.6A motor so not that huge a draw. Full specs are Here if you dig. Pay attention to model suffix.

Here's a thought for anyone with a large open backyard...

On the idea that most of the time the soil in your back yard is about 40º F (or if not that, then alot lower than summer time air temps). Why not dig up your backyard, and install some pvc maze, then re-cover it with the soil. I've pondered this a few times... but alas, i'm just renting this house...

The same thing works on a much larger scale for homes that are geothermally heated (and cooled). In summer it assumes that the soil is cooler than the air, and a heat pump extracts the heat from the home, and pushes it down into the earth.

The main issue (that i have forseen) would be finding a pump that can pump enough into the pvc system (copper would react in the soil, making it a bad choice) while not shifting that high flow rate into high pressures once it reaches the water block. Tubing laying around the room would just add for story telling.

Cheers!

ever consitered getting one of those mini office iceboxes cutting a hole in the side and running a radiant cooler in there? wouldnt cost much on the electricity and you wouldnt have to worry about evap

you can get copper pipe that's coated to prevent it from reacting. If you used PVC that wouldn't work at all, as PVC is very bad at transferring heat. Yes, that would work quite well. If you were able to dig down about 6 feet, you'd find that(if the area was closed off) it would be ~4'C, quite cold, so if you had a maze of copper pipe 6 feet under ground, it should get cooled by the earth.

Back