• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400+ or my Video card crapping out? BLue screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReTiCuLeX

Well I was playing Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 , with my 2400+ overclocked to 2163mhz 13x166 and my game froze. I tried unreal tournament 2003 that freezes as well. When I clocked it down to 2600+ speed instead of freezing , I was able to play from 2mins before freezing to now 10mins. Now I expected it to freeze, instead I got a Blue screen. Not a normal one either. I was Just BLUE , my whole screen turned blue. Forcing me to reboot. Now is this my radeon 9700 doing this? or my CPU from being overclocked. Im going to try it now not overclocked. If it's from overclocking why should it freeze anyhow or give me that screen my voltages were great , also my vcore was at 1.825 for 2163mhz , for 2600+ speed I had to bring it up to 1.750 Vcore. Ideas? This is really fustraiting me.

rippedsocks

sorry to hear that when i run 2.2 with 1.7vcore :D (im bragging cuz i dont even have it again till the 30th lol trying to stay happy)... resident told me u put AS3 on ur radeon's chipset and it messed sumtin up a lil i think this is the culprit... also how'd it go with the ladies?

Ishakir

If I had to guess, I'd say it was a graphics card error since you're getting a solid blue screen and not a real mobo/OS error.

No clue on a fix, and no clue if I'm right.

-Ish-:beer:

{PMS}fishy

Run a stress test program, like Prime and see what happens. Sounds more like a video issue to me. It could be te CPU too that is doing it. Is it stable running idle? Even try something as simple as Sandra CPU burn-in to see if that will lock it. My bet still goes to the video.

tragic_monkey

if rippedsocks ses resevil ses u put as3 on your 9700, and if hes right, so if u did put it on im guessing u didnt put enough on u need to put a lot on a gpu as they are not flat like the core of a cpu. or for better performance lap the gpu itself.

OP
ReTiCuLeX

ReTiCuLeX

Tried that. I wish i could find a place that sells a crystal orb with frag tape.Damn me :( . My dad said I can't use his CC to order either lol. all i got is cash so im F-ed. Btw do I need Ram sinks as well? Or will the GPU Crystal orb do just fine?

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
hey man pull the side of the case off and put a bog ole box fan in front of it.see if it helps.
is the vid card oced? if so it can lock up faster even with a small amount of heat build up.

ramsinks can be made by cutting up old hs. i have a few old socket7 hs around. and some i swipped off a old monitor. just cuttem to size with hacksaw,lap em and use arctic silver adhesive.

OP
ReTiCuLeX

ReTiCuLeX

Orderd a Crystal orb , I tried the box fan . it does same. i will probally use my old ATI HSF an cut it up. Btw I can run Sisoft Burnin overnite for 10hrs on high stress fine. So what's the problemo? :(

Last edited:

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ma i dont have much of a clue.altho now i think about ir when i got my blue screens it was from the cpu. the video card will couse a screen to just freeze up.but my cpu coused blue screens.

mabey try 3dmark a few loops,with cpu overclocked liek it was.leave the 9700 at stock. im thinking the cpu is heaten up now.what u cooling with?

TheOneDonRamon

Registered
I replaced my gf3 and never got around to putting the crystal orb back on it..anyway when i moved one of the pins somehow fell off that clamp it down!Where can i get a new one? :p pin/clamp that is......

residentevil2

Disabled
well i dunno im stumpped on this. Maybe its ur cpu aybe its ur vid card. If its the pu then MAYBE people would finally understand that it wasnt my power supply or computer parts holding my oc back but the cpu just sucked. Other than that, the video card like isaid even with my hsf not touched i can still wiggle it a bit that means the card was spesificly built for the thermal tap only cuss im thinking like isaid before the thermal tap was to keep the heat sink attacked the card now that that is off and as3 is on thier it isnt making good contact anymore. I hope the crystle orb helps if it doesnt come with thermal tap. go to like best buy or something and see if they sell it if not i might be able to buy some at my local store and ship it to u.

OP
ReTiCuLeX

ReTiCuLeX

retvoltages.jpg

is this the problem? Look at my negative voltages. :( im using a good PSU TOO!

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
id be looking into the mobo first not the psu.

wow dude that could couse all kinds of bad things!

OC Detective

Your -12V is merely for serial port communication also it is very difficult to accurately read negative voltages using software - you will only get an accurate measurement from a multimeter. I would doubt very much that the -12V is the cause of your probs - your psu seems fine.

OP
ReTiCuLeX

ReTiCuLeX

Well I wish I could figure out what's holding me back. Maybe the place I got my ram from didn't sell my true corsair xms , it does got the corsair xms heatspreader on it . But who knows.