• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400+ Won't Unlock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I got a nice new 2400+ from Newegg this afternoon. I'm running it in an Epox 8K7A+ revision 1.1 with the 2529 bios. From all the reading I've done Epox states that this board supports the tbred, however my unlocking attempt has not worked yet. The chip booted right up with no mods at 15X133. The bios calls it "unknown cpu type 2000MHz" I tried changing multipliers with the stock chip - no go. Next I tried to pencil a connection on the 5th L3 bridge with a pencil that used to work fine on the old ceramic substrate tbirds. I just made a U connecting the bridge. This didn't let me adjust the multiplier either. I'm wondering if maybe there's just too much resistance using the pencil and drawing a U. At the same time I'm wondering if the bios isn't going to let me do anything with the multiplier since it doesn't seem to identify the tbred core. Any ideas? Should I wipe the pencil mark clean and try the defogger repair paint? This chip is begging to be overclocked. It posts at 2400 with default voltage.

OC-Master

As far as I know, you need a KT400 or nForce2 to change the multiplier on the 2400+ and higher CPUs.

There is a secret way to unlock involving a resister and three pin holes on the back side of the processor but unfortuneatly, I do not have enough knowledge on this type of unlock.

OC-Master

OP
TC

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Hummm, I thought the pin-outs hadn't changed. This is still socket 462 afterall. Oh well, I'll unlock both open L3 bridges and see if that does anything. If not no big deal this board goes up to 180 okay. I'll try for 150ish.

Kosmic

You only need to connect the 5th L3 bridge to have all the 12.5 and lower mults. Be aware that you won't have anything above that though. (13=12.5 when unlocked) Rear window defogger paint is what I used.

You posted at 2400mhz? Cooling with water or air? I'm more concerned with getting my FSB up to 200 than running the chip at much more than 2200 or so. Anyhow, that's a topic for another thread...

emericanchaos

i thought the only boards that could change multis without unlocking the chip was the asus kt400a chipset boards (nforce2 and A7V8x. a couple people with kt400a MSI boards said they can't change their multis without unlocking.

OP
TC

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Beats me. I tried unlocking just the last L3 bridge - didn't work (even with defogger paint) So then I decided to close both L3 bridges. Boy was that a mistake. I filled the pits with super glue and then I slipped with a razor blade when I was trying to shave the extra glue off. It cut into the top of the chip and exposed some copper. I went ahead and finished the job but didn't expect the chip to run. Fortunately it still works, but it's not unlocked. The funny thing is after all that work I realized it was pointless to unlock it because I need to keep my mobo at 166 max, so 12.5X wouldn't be much of an OC.

bluedoo

got this from another forum
works for me hope it works for you

Hi,

I know the some/all/most/? KT400 boards automatically enable the use of the bios multipliers, but I had the latest Epox EP-8k5a3+ KT333.

As I didn't want to purchase a newer m/b, I researched the net and found an exceptionally easy way to UNLOCK the 2400+, this has probably been reported on this forum before.

All you do is get a thin piece of copper-wire, bend it to a U shape, then insert each leg into the ziff socket 462 hole as indicated. (I took the wire out of a ATA66/100 IDE cable that was a problem).

The faint red-line indicates the 2 pin holes in question.

The wire needs to be thin enough to enable you to insert the 2400+, but just thick enough that you need to apply the slightest of pressure to bed the CPU down.

Tried, tested and it works great, and if your CPU decides to do go to heaven, you pull out the CPU and there is no signs of any alterations.

P.S. Even though this method is simple, there is always some risk associated with doing any modification, and you carry that risk, NOT ME.

Cheerz

EluSiOn

When you unlock AMD XP 2400+, it allows you to access 12.5 and lower multiplier on ALL Mobo

If you have a KT400 or NForce 2 chip set Mobo, you will have access of 13 and higher Multiplier by default.

This apply to AMD XP 2200+ to 2800+ T-bred rev B cpu.

walldow

tried the supper glue thing and it is a mess. i found the crayon trick to be the fastest and easiest. just cover the l3 dots (one pice across the top dots and one piece across the bottom dots)with scotch tape and go down the center of the laser cut with the crayon. pull the tape off and cover the l3 4th conections with a piece of tape so you don't accidently conect the two. then conect the dots on the l3 5th and romve tape from l3 4th. less then 5 min.

you might have already read it somwere but if you didn't?

OP
TC

TC

Senior Seti Addict
jszent said:
TC,
All you got to do isclose the last L3 bridge.Just go around the pit and collect the two dots.Worked fine for me.
Tried that last night and it wouldn't boot afterwards, so then I tried connecting both bridges and it still wouldn't post. I wiped off the paint with acetone and it booted at default again.