• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24volts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jadams

Is there any way to get 24volts out of a computer power supply?

I saw a fan I like that would look cool stuck in the bottom front of a case, but it runs at 24volts.

or, do you guys think that a fan that needs 24v would run OK on 12v?

Thank you,
Jeff.

OP
J

jadams

so just take the two and twist them together to make one wire? Then where would the ground go from the fan? To the 5vground?

Thanks!
Jeff.

RCtruckguy

i think he means just conect the fan to the PS as u normaly would. or you could take 2 PSU's and wire them in series go to the 3ed sticky to see how too~RCTG

Carnil

jadams said:
so just take the two and twist them together to make one wire? Then where would the ground go from the fan? To the 5vground?

Thanks!
Jeff.

No, you hook the red (+) wire from the fan to the +12 wire, the black (-) wire fan wire to the -12 wire, and hope the fan doesn't draw more than about 1 amp.

stool

I've run a few 24v fans at 12v with no problem. The only way to find out is to actually try it, though.

OP
J

jadams

Carnil said:

No, you hook the red (+) wire from the fan to the +12 wire, the black (-) wire fan wire to the -12 wire, and hope the fan doesn't draw more than about 1 amp.
That would just be normal 12v, wouldn't it?

Well I've ordered the fan. It's 1amp so shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!