• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ or 2.4C P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iplayguitar

Registered
ok, right now I have a 2500+ @2.3ghz and im thinking about getting a P4 2.4C. Which one would be better? Does the 800fsb perform better than 400fsb? and what is so special about HT?

dippy_skoodlez

iplayguitar said:
ok, right now I have a 2500+ @2.3ghz and im thinking about getting a P4 2.4C. Which one would be better? Does the 800fsb perform better than 400fsb? and what is so special about HT?

I just got my 2500+ at 3200+ speeds, and what could you want improved?!! ^_^ I say put the $$$ twards a 9800/9600XT or more ram.

OP
I

iplayguitar

Registered
Re: Re: 2500+ or 2.4C P4

dippy_skoodlez said:

I just got my 2500+ at 3200+ speeds, and what could you want improved?!! ^_^ I say put the $$$ twards a 9800/9600XT or more ram.
already have a 9600XT and I have 512mb ddr400 in dual channel

Bugalaman

its not worth it to buy another 32 bit processor. they are the thing of the past. get the athlon64 3000, its only about $200

attack

I'd buy a 9800p and sell the 9600XT, that upgrade would cost less than a 2.4C+mobo - selling your setup, and you will have more performsnce in games by far.

OP
I

iplayguitar

Registered
I just got the 9600XT so Im not gonna sell it and I would really like to know which cpu would be better and why. Not what I should get.

dippy_skoodlez

iplayguitar said:

cant have more than 2 sticks of ddr400 on my mobo
dont see the point in water cooling

Well, sys specs would be nice, and you do oevrclock right? watercooling is GREAT! what mobo you use? you can have 3 sticks in dual channel BTW :D its in the manual for th a7n8x if you need proof =P

OP
I

iplayguitar

Registered
NF7-M
2 256 DDR400
Volcano 11 HSF
9600XT
7.1 sound card
200GB HD

the chipset on the mobo doesnt support 200fsb or higher and I do overclock. Now Im either gonna get the 2.4C and abit IC7 mobo or ill just get a new mobo for my 2500+ so I can overclock better. Also, the abit nforce2 boards cant have more than 2 sticks of ddr400 in em.

sp00L

I have a 2500+ oc'ed to 2.2G on my other rig. Comparing that to this rig's P4 is futile. However, I agree with others. Keep your current processor or upgrade to a Athlon64 or wait for Prescott. Personnally I prefer the P4. No comparison when it comes to smoothness and the HT is invaluable.

I, too was in your shoes just a few months ago and it's how I ended up going through 4 P4's to find one that oc'ed well. But remember this, when it comes to applications and gaming, the performance boost (if any as the 2.4 may not oc that well) will be negliable. You won't notice anything unless you benchmark. I cranked my oc back down to 3.6 for everyday use to get a cooler, quieter running pc. My 2500+ rig keeps up just fine in all games and apps.

Put your money on a new monitor or better cooling case. Or save it until the next round of upgrades hits in the summer with BTX form factors, PCI Express, 90nm chips, and DDRII. Use these holidays to do some gaming or whatever it is you do with your rig. It looks like you've built a great box already, now go enjoy it.

PS. P4's benefit more from FSB just to keep a 1/2 step ahead of Athlon XP's. The Athlon64 is a whole different animal and the scales are even.

NicePants42

Stick with your Barton. Buying a Northwood and an IC-7 when you already have a Barton at 2.3 would do nothing but lighten your wallet - especially at this juncture, because of the new socket(s)/form factor(s)/memory/PCI hardware about to hit the market..

If you absolutely have to spend money now, and want to actually see a difference, grab a mainboard that'll run 200+ fsb, like an (NF7-S, A7N8X, or LanParty) and increase your memory bandwidth, or get a Radeon 9800, or maximize your overclock with a watercooling setup, or you might want to check out Western Digital's new Raptors.

I recommend buying something that you can make use of for the next few upgrades, since you might be upgrading quite a bit over the next 24 months or so.

OP
I

iplayguitar

Registered
ok, im gonna get a new mobo but which kind should i get?? it needs to be able to have 3 sticks of ddr400 and the nforce2 ultra 400 nothbridge.

Last edited:

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I would reccomend those Raptor drives. I went from a single 80GB 5400rpm drive with 2mB cache to a RAID 0 set up with two Raptors and I see a huge performance increase. I didn't expect the boost to be this big, now I am very happy I did this instead of buy my IC7 and 2.6c. I have a 2500+ that won't oc at all. I am having trouble not buying the P4 2.6c but it is just so hard to justify spending all of that money when I won't see a huge performance gain.

OP
I

iplayguitar

Registered
well i just got a 160Gig HD so im not gonna upgrade that. does anyone know why the abit nforce2 mobos can only have 2 sticks of ddr400 and all the other nforce2 mobos can have 3 sticks of ddr400?

Absolute Zero

i had a soyo kt400 black dragon ultra, and it could only support two dimms worth of ddr 400. must be a chipset bandwith thing.
that's why i went asus.
i just recently got my asus mobo, and it is nice! i've gotten stable fsb's in the 220s without any mods.

another question i might ask would be if your barton is locked? if it is, your fsb overclocking might be limited, since the barton has trouble hitting anything close to 2.4 - trust me, i know. you wouldn't want to plunk down a hundred bucks for a motherboard that wouldn't do you much good.

to answer your original question, if you fold, a 2.4c would be much faster since hyperthreading would be like having two pcs. however, to completely switch platforms this late in the game might not be the best idea. And if you're a serious overclocker and/or rich, you'll be going 64 bit soon, and maybe it would be a good idea to wait. of course that's not what you asked...

OP
I

iplayguitar

Registered
yeah im gonna wait for the new stuff to come out but I am gonna swith mobos cause I have an unlocked 2500+ and I would like to get above 200fsb and I want to have 3 sticks of ddr400(can you run 2 256 sticks and a 512 stick in dual channel?) so Im gonna get the asus A7N8X-E(does this board have locked agp and pci slot?)