• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256MB Matrox Parhelia Out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think more memory will help this card anyway. It needs a memory managment system like ATI's HyperZ or Nvidia's LMA. It also needs the memory and core to run at a high speed.

Is the parhelia core made at .13 or .15 microns?

:( 256 megs will not really help Matrox and their card . Too little clock and mem speed .................. too little bandwidth , too much $$$$ .

Will still only perform between gf3 ti 200 and ti 4200 levels .

The parhelia is poor implementation of good paper hardware . I should have explained it that way . And as things currently are, 256mb will not save its sorry performance !

Some say it would make a good buisness card but at $450 !!!!! No way . Too expensive even for the triple haed stuff which I think is cool BTW .

Ya i have heard pretty much the same thing as far as mem bandwidth is concerned. I imagine a bump in the speed of the core and mem would be a great help to it.

i don't think the main goal of this card is gaming. i could see it in an office where they work with 3d viz or autocad.
Then why didn't they demo a project in Autocad on 3 screens, instead of Quake, when they released it? :eh?:

takiwa said:

Then why didn't they demo a project in Autocad on 3 screens, instead of Quake, when they released it? :eh?:

Autocad what? They probally dont know what autocad is :) or at least something around those lines. Although you know they still are number one when it comes to 2D image quality!

DS-Master

I was just pointing out that this is the standard fallback answer to a card when it fails in the gaming world...the Parhelia was tauted as a gaming card when it was introduced, but it failed to meet expectations...so now it's a "3D CAD" card...lol...even 256M of RAM can't save this one :)

twice the ram... does anyone care?

that should be the title for all parhelia write-ups.

The 256MB Card is meant for 3D Workstations while the 128 is for home and game usage. They are coming out with a 64MB card soon too. :)

I agree with takiwa 100% about the card being target as gaming card, then when it failed, everyone starting saying how great all the "other" features where. I posted a message in the murc forums about this same situation, and I got flamed at first, then most people came around and agreed.

Back