• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256mb vs 512mb , different overclock results?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yeba

Registered
Hi, I was wondering if the size of the memory affects the overall overclocking capability of memory modules. The reason I ask is I have a hyperX PC3000 256MB and 512MB. The 256MB module can do 225 Mhz while the 512MB can only do 216 Mhz. There might be other factors that affect overclocking such as:
1. revision of the module a17 vs a18
2. different chips on the 256 and 512 modules, can anyone confirm what chips hyperx pc3000 uses
3. each module really provides different results even if they are the same chips

What I am more interested in though is if assuming boths sticks use the same chips, why would the 256 MB oc better? Is it because the 512 MB has more chips in the module so it needs more power? hhmmm

Anyway, any comments or feedback are appreciated. Thanks.

Well, the other issue is some motherboards overclock better with one stick of 512MB or 256MB than 2x256MB. So I guess it's hard to get best overclocking results if you want more than 256 MB.

I don't know if this is the true with dual DDR motherboards (nforce2, 865pe). Does one stick of 256 MB oc better in single channel or dual channel using 2x256 MB in dual ddr motherboards?

Well, you can't expect any 2 sticks of ram even the same exact kind to have the same overclocking results.

I guess it's similar to CPUs, some batches(steppings) are better than others.

This sucks, I am planning on getting a dual DDR board and I need to find another 256MB XMS3200C2 that can do DDR466 at cas 2.5, 2.8V. It's so nice to have Fry's 1 mile away from your home, I can always return stuff that would not overclock well, hehehehe

thanks.

I am probably on the list of Fry's top 'RETURNERS', I returned so much stuff I cannot count them. That's the only reason I shop at Frys is because of the no restocking return policy and they do have some really good prices every now and then.

Back