• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2700x + aorus b450m + aorus rgb memory 3600mhz - only runs at 3266mhz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanswurst31

hey guys,

what is limiting me? is it the 2700x because the ram(GP-ar36c18s8k2hu416rd) runs stable once downclocked to 3266mhz? or is it the limited options my motherboard have? there is a guy on the winraid forum which mods bios, so i could unlock all hidden options. i guess then i would have all the options a high end motherboard have....

thx!

hey guys,

what is limiting me? is it the 2700x because the ram(GP-ar36c18s8k2hu416rd) runs stable once downclocked to 3266mhz? or is it the limited options my motherboard have? there is a guy on the winraid forum which mods bios, so i could unlock all hidden options. i guess then i would have all the options a high end motherboard have....

thx!

Probably a bit of both. I know the memory controller was improved for the 2000 series but it still wasn’t as good as the 3000 series. For example I can only run my memory at 3933 for my r5 1600, anything faster causes crashes. With a better motherboard and bios maybe you can squeeze a little more out of it, but it is a maybe. Changing the bios could make no difference to you at all. The 2700x only supports 2933 speed so anything more than that isn’t guaranteed anyway.

But with a 3700x 3600mhz should be almost guarented i guess? this ram isnt mentioned in the last compatibility list of the MB, but the ram was released after the list. the fact that ram and and mb are from aorus aorus and the 3200 mhz kit is mentioned in that list gives hope.

A lot depends on the motherboard but the B450 series should run up to at least DDR4-3600 with 8GB memory modules, and with Ryzen 3000 it's about guaranteed (exception can be APU). On Ryzen 2000 it depends on luck. It can make anything between 3200 and 3600. My luck was that with 2x8GB I could make 3600 but 2x16GB couldn't make much more than 3200 without errors. On 3400G APU, which is about the same as the 2000 series, I had similar results.

Actually, I would recommend waiting till Ryzen 4000 series are out and buy something new, and B550 motherboard. It will last longer and should have much better memory support. B550 motherboards are already running up to 5000+ and even though supposed to be lower series, then have better memory support than X570.

i had the same thought but i have the feeling that amd will pull out some intel sh+t. i mean for what do we need more for now? as long as intel behaves the same there is no incentive for amd? the b450 is going to support the new cpus anyways if they are worth upgrading at all. othere then that there is nothing majorly exiting about the x550/x570. the prices are not exiting at all :D. as for now it looks like 3600mhz is the sweetspot and propably will remain it when amd goes intel. and éven if amd comes up with some impresive things, it propably wont be that impressiv or at least not going to be the best bang for the buck. i prefer to buy used. already spotted some 3700x around 210€. if it goes for around 160 ill propaply say goodbye to my 3 month old friend 2700x.

i hope the technical part makes sense. or am i missing something?

You are right in some respects, but AMD will have to keep innovating to beat and stay ahead of Intel in gaming. So far for productivity there is only 1 choice in 99% of applications and that is AMD. But still for gaming you will get better performance from Intel, sometimes it is only 1-2fps but it is better. I think Zen3 will be the best gaming cpu for a while but intel does have rocket lake coming which again could take that award back to intel. So in that respect AMD will keep moving forward.

So this is Gigabyte's own memory product, huh? Didn't know Giga was into memory.

i had the same thought but i have the feeling that amd will pull out some intel sh+t. i mean for what do we need more for now? as long as intel behaves the same there is no incentive for amd? the b450 is going to support the new cpus anyways if they are worth upgrading at all. othere then that there is nothing majorly exiting about the x550/x570. the prices are not exiting at all :D. as for now it looks like 3600mhz is the sweetspot and propably will remain it when amd goes intel. and éven if amd comes up with some impresive things, it propably wont be that impressiv or at least not going to be the best bang for the buck. i prefer to buy used. already spotted some 3700x around 210€. if it goes for around 160 ill propaply say goodbye to my 3 month old friend 2700x.

i hope the technical part makes sense. or am i missing something?

B450 wasn't designed to even support Ryzen 3000 and on some motherboards are various problems. It wasn't designed for DDR4-3600+ either and many motherboards won't run stable at DDR4-3600. It doesn't support PCIe 4.0 which right now is not so important but already new AMD graphics cards are showing better performance running in PCIe 4.0 slot. There is also no guarantee that motherboard manufacturers will release well-tunned BIOS for any future generation if they release it at all. B450 at first didn't even have support for Zen 3 in plans and we don't really know if BIOS for B450 fully supports these processors.

If you browse various forums then you can find multiple topics with issues on B450 motherboards and Ryzen 3000 processors. Some were fixed, some not. It simply shows that as long as B450 has added Zen 3 support then it doesn't mean that for motherboard manufacturers spending money and time on old products has any point and probably most motherboards will only receive "supports new processors" patch and nothing else.

AMD uses AM4 socket for longer but in real it's not so much different than Intel which is changing sockets. Users still have to get a new motherboard from time to time if they want to upgrade the CPU.

You are right in some respects, but AMD will have to keep innovating to beat and stay ahead of Intel in gaming. So far for productivity there is only 1 choice in 99% of applications and that is AMD. But still for gaming you will get better performance from Intel, sometimes it is only 1-2fps but it is better. I think Zen3 will be the best gaming cpu for a while but intel does have rocket lake coming which again could take that award back to intel. So in that respect AMD will keep moving forward.

AMD is on the good track but for end-users, it doesn't really matter if they pick Intel or AMD nowadays. I guess it's more a matter of additional features and price/performance comparison. Even though there is a lot of noise about the heat or power usage of new Intel then AMD is not much better. Actually lower series like locked i5 uses less power than Ryzen 5 and runs at about the same clock and also cooler. I was comparing i5-10500 to Ryzen 5 3600 where both have 6 cores, about the same TDP, frequency, and price. Some users can complain that lower Intels are not overclocking. Well, true but AMD even though unlocked, is not overclocking either.
It doesn't change fact that AMD is now a clear winner in everything, even new laptops will make a lot of problems on the market where Intel used to have 90%+ sales. I just got a Ryzen 4800H based laptop. It simply beats everything that Intel has to offer at a similar price. It's just a question if laptop manufacturers make reasonable configurations with AMD processors to compete on this specific market.

So this is Gigabyte's own memory product, huh? Didn't know Giga was into memory.

Gigabyte is not manufacturing RAM on its own. They still are on the RAM market for like 3 years, maybe more but at least retail RAM is for about as long. Recently they are releasing top frequency kits but in stores are mostly DDR4 3200-3600. On Gigabyte motherboard QVL you can find AORUS series up to DDR4-5000. Check any more expensive Gigabyte B550 motherboard.

Actually, B550 works better with RAM than X570 but I guess it's just a matter of optimized BIOS as new products get more attention from manufacturers. Next generations of Ryzen supposed to have a higher memory clock with a 1:1 IF ratio so it can be interesting. Right now I can tell you that on many motherboards you can run 4x32GB at 4000+ (I could do that on ASRock PG Velocita) and on QVL you can find single-sided 16GB modules up to 4400+.
On ASUS Strix B550-I Gaming I could boot at DDR4-5100 out of the box without any special tweaking. In comparison, on the Crosshair VIII Impact (X570) I couldn't boot past DDR4-5000 with the same memory kit.
If anyone wonders why there is no memory world record on B550 motherboards then I guess it's because they have limited memory ratio and can't set more than DDR4-6000 while on X570 there is up to DDR4-8000. I can be wrong but the same I've seen on 3 motherboards.

Last edited:
If you browse various forums then you can find multiple topics with issues on B450 motherboards and Ryzen 3000 processors.

thx for mentioning this.

edit: i wasnt even able to get this kit stable running at 2933 mhz. FAIL

Last edited:
Back