• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

280mm Rads and 140mm fan advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am a fan (pun pun pun) of the NF-F12 PWM by Noctua. As someone said above, don't run them at full.

If you start comparing numbers, you may be mislead unless you stick to companies that are known to be trustworthy. Someone else said the numbers Noctua publishes are reliable and I want to 2nd that. Noctua is a stand up company with fine products and excellent support.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of you guys run Noctuas!!?
Don't shoot me down but from what I have read, heard, researched they are a) excellent, reliable well supported fans. b) Noisy as hell at high speed. c) good at pushing air, (at high speed). d) bloody expensive especially if you are buying 8 or so!!!!!

Soooooooooo.

If most of you are throttling them down to sensible noise levels, they are not running full tilt and are not pushing their full amount of air through...... Are there other, slightly cheaper, just as reliable, quiet fans that may end up running towards their top end more of the time but that would push as much air and do as good a job?

As far as overclocking goes I don't mind flexing the muscles of he system but I am never going to try to max the system out and will prefer a comfortable environment, (quiet and well cooled) over all else.
I appreciate that for high overclocks having the extra capacity is valuable but the noise and cost involved make it a pointless excercise for me.

Thanks for the point towards Martins and Skinnee!! Had a good mooch around their articles and followed several items that lead to them from Google.
Sadly a lot of the links I find including these sites seem to have last been visited about 3 years ago. Finding up to date info is more difficult.

Should probably be a new thread ide but It would greatly help peple like myself if there was a standardised way of testing fans. ie, all fans tested at 1000rpm for noise, airflow etc and then their top and bottom measurements as bracket guidlines?

Most of the old data that you see still stand on all legs today. A couple fans have since come out since than that perform about the same range as those top performers from than. Not much has changed.

My personal preference but also proven by the experts are the AP-53s (Old AP-15s), Noiseblockers eLoops, EK Vardars and the Noctuas are probably the best premium rad fans out there AFAIK. You could do some google searches with using the keywords "Fan Roundup" to find some more up-to-date data but the veteran experts that once were around have done a excellent job and are respected by many in the water cooling world.

Thanks. Good to know its still relevant!!! Cetainly no disrespect intended on my part. Been looking at fan round ups from the last 10 years or so. Will have a revisit on some of those fans mentioned and see what happens.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of you guys run Noctuas!!?
Don't shoot me down but from what I have read, heard, researched they are a) excellent, reliable well supported fans. b) Noisy as hell at high speed. c) good at pushing air, (at high speed). d) bloody expensive especially if you are buying 8 or so!!!!!

Soooooooooo.

If most of you are throttling them down to sensible noise levels, they are not running full tilt and are not pushing their full amount of air through...... Are there other, slightly cheaper, just as reliable, quiet fans that may end up running towards their top end more of the time but that would push as much air and do as good a job?

As far as overclocking goes I don't mind flexing the muscles of he system but I am never going to try to max the system out and will prefer a comfortable environment, (quiet and well cooled) over all else.
I appreciate that for high overclocks having the extra capacity is valuable but the noise and cost involved make it a pointless excercise for me.

Thanks for the point towards Martins and Skinnee!! Had a good mooch around their articles and followed several items that lead to them from Google.
Sadly a lot of the links I find including these sites seem to have last been visited about 3 years ago. Finding up to date info is more difficult.

Should probably be a new thread ide but It would greatly help peple like myself if there was a standardised way of testing fans. ie, all fans tested at 1000rpm for noise, airflow etc and then their top and bottom measurements as bracket guidlines?

The thing is, while I throttle the crap outta my noctua ippc fans, I can ramp them up at a moments notice if I feel like it. IE, there is no hardware swapping needed to persue maximum clocks. Just crank the fans up. That is why I bought the iPPC fans. Everyday use is throttled, but I can shoot for higher clocks when I feel like it. It's just a simple fan profile change.

Back