• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2pin to 3pin mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natgas

Hope this is in the right section; I have an led connector that is a 2pin to molex connection; I would prefer to have it be a 2pin to 3pin connector so that I could control the brightness with my fan controller; is this possible? thanks

Stupid Boy

natgas said:
Hope this is in the right section; I have an led connector that is a 2pin to molex connection; I would prefer to have it be a 2pin to 3pin connector so that I could control the brightness with my fan controller; is this possible? thanks

Yes, but it's easier to cut off the parts of the connector that prevent you from putting it into a 3pin connection.

Code:
___       ___
| |       | |
| |_______| |
|           |
|           |
|           |
|___________|

Cut off the two things that are on the top of my diagram.

OP
natgas

natgas

Sorry, I just don't follow! Since the plug end is a 4-wire molex, how can this fit into a 3-wire fan connection? Electrical isn't my thing!!

OP
natgas

natgas

OK, I connected the 2 wire to a three wire extension and then to my fan controller; but, of course it won't control the led's since they are only 2 wire; what if I splice a simple switch into the 2 wire led's? will this then enable me to turn the led's on/off?

Ed_VVolf

Looking at a female 3-pin fan connector with the "horns" up, the three connectors are, in order from left to right, ground, +12V, and fan speed. You don't need to mess with the fan speed indicator at all; leave it floating and your fan controller will read 0 rpm. What your fan controller does is change the voltage on the +12v line which will change the current through your resistor and hence change the brightness of your led. All you need to do is point the cathode (black wire) at ground and the anode (red wire) at the +12v line.