• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2TB drives not recognized by BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I have 2 2TB drives. I just switched from a DFI Lanparty board to a mvix minix 890GX USB3. The drives are in perfect working order, however they are not recognized in BIOS on the new board.

I checked the manufacturers website, however did not find any new BIOS versions. Can you find a new bios that supports large drives for me? Or is there a setting I need to change in BIOS? I checked and switched settings around, but nothing has worked thus far.

EDIT: I've already switched cables and used the same ports that both the OS drive and the CD drive are recognized fine on. It being fault hardware is ruled out. I think I may need a newer BIOS or instructions for settings.

Last edited:
Are there multiple SATA controllers on the board? Might wanna try another one. If it's an older board its possible that the bios doesnt support it if its not getting updated.

Any BIOS options to delay HDD startup detection or maybe disable fast booting? Might be an issue of the HDD taking too long to spin up and be ready for detection.

Well if it has SATA III and its run off the southbridge, I'm really surprised its not recognizing the larger drives. That's one of their newest chipsets isn't it?

Edit: yeah, check the detection timeout. I always set mine to 0 so it boots faster :D

Detection time out is set to 35 seconds. I've tried settings Native IDE, Legacy IDE, AHCI, and RAID... None make the 2GB drives (I have two) show up in BIOS.

It picks up my sata CDRW and 36GB Raptor fine. On their site it says this which makes it sound like "the latest" drives would work:
Powered by AMD’s latest and fastest 890GX IGP chipset, the ATI Radeon™ HD 4290 graphics enables the MINIX™ 890GX-USB3 motherboard to fully support Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1, UVD2, Full HD 1080p playback, dual-stream PiP on Blu-Ray™, and multi video outputs. With the latest AMD® SB850 southbridge, MINIX™ 890GX-USB3 is ready to support the latest SATA 6Gbps hard drives, allowing users to setup their 6Gbps RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 arrays on a mini-ITX system

For now, I moved all the drives back over to the DFI lanparty, and everything is running happily again.

Very odd, even my el-cheapo gigabyte AMD 785 DDR2 based board and GB intel G41 board detect 2TB drives without any issues.
You have the HDD type set to auto in bios and not Large or something else?

Back