• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 256 + 2x 256 or 2x 512 Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drenader

Ok if you can understand that title ill spell it out. I have 2 sticks of 256 3200 ram and want to upgrade to a gig. Should i Buy 2 more sticks? would it still perform well? Or should i just Save these sticks for another computer and buy 2 sticks of 512 to get to 1gb. I know you guys have seen this question before but i couldnt find it.

TYIA

Dre

beau_zo_brehm

drenader said:
Ok if you can understand that title ill spell it out. I have 2 sticks of 256 3200 ram and want to upgrade to a gig. Should i Buy 2 more sticks? would it still perform well? Or should i just Save these sticks for another computer and buy 2 sticks of 512 to get to 1gb. I know you guys have seen this question before but i couldnt find it.

TYIA

Dre

it depends on whether or not u r willing to buy some 512*2 RAM, because that would be ideal. You will see some defficiency with 4 sticks of 256 RAM as opposed to 512*2. If u give me your RAM budget I could look up some for u!

Tatuya

I'd sell the 256 sticks or keep em and buy two 512 sticks if I were in your situation. Not only are the two sticks more efficient but they will almost always provide a better overclock then having 4 sticks.

OP
drenader

drenader

Yeah the thing is i would be really hesitant to break the $200 barriar right now, so probally limit to two more stick of 256. The ram i have now has not done me wrong but i just need more for game like far cry and stuff. I want to get more ram before i upgrade my video card. I don't "need" it right now but in a few months ill get some. So if you point out some good items i could budget for them for the future.

Thanks a lot for your time

Dre

beau_zo_brehm

drenader said:
Yeah the thing is i would be really hesitant to break the $200 barriar right now, so probally limit to two more stick of 256. The ram i have now has not done me wrong but i just need more for game like far cry and stuff. I want to get more ram before i upgrade my video card. I don't "need" it right now but in a few months ill get some. So if you point out some good items i could budget for them for the future.

Thanks a lot for your time

Dre

i can find u some good 3200 2*512 ram for under 200! wait a sec and ill get u some links

beau_zo_brehm

OP
drenader

drenader

Hmmm, might have to sell my ram since its selling for $170 on newegg might see if i can get someone to pay a decent price for it, then i could opt for a gig of high quality ram.

attack

that's exactly what I would do, sell off your corsair because you can get a nice penny for it and buy some value RAM....in all honesty timings are overated...way overated.

You might be able to goto a gig of PC3200 generic for the same price as your 2x256 corsair...now that's a hell of a deal if you ask me.

Sjaak

The IC7 with 2 512M modules wont clock as high as with 4 256M modules...(speaking not only from what i read, but also from my own experience)

I had 2x512MDT (ddr400) and the highest it would do was 215 fsb (crappy ram)

With 4x256MDT (ddr400) it would go as high as 230

OP
drenader

drenader

Yeah kinda sad if you ask me, thats why i am so leery of paying the same for a gig that i did for 512. Cause the 512 has done no wrong so i dont want to ginx things.

Dre

beau_zo_brehm

drenader said:
Yeah kinda sad if you ask me, thats why i am so leery of paying the same for a gig that i did for 512. Cause the 512 has done no wrong so i dont want to ginx things.

Dre

cmon, u dont have balls if u dont go for the 2*512! :p

OP
drenader

drenader

Just need to try and sell what i have first then. Never really realized how pricey that stuff is.

Dre

OP
drenader

drenader

Sjaak said:
The IC7 with 2 512M modules wont clock as high as with 4 256M modules...(speaking not only from what i read, but also from my own experience)

I had 2x512MDT (ddr400) and the highest it would do was 215 fsb (crappy ram)

With 4x256MDT (ddr400) it would go as high as 230

hmm another side of this, intresting. would i need to get more of the same ram? OR can i get another 512 set?

Cid

drenader said:

TYIA

Dre

I'm in the same exact situation. I really don't know if I can shed the $ for 2x512MB for 1GB instead of buying another 2x256MB. I'm leaning towards the 2x512MB though because I have read that 4 sticks on my IC7-G has problems with PAT being disabled and stuff so I'll see what I do. Question is, where do I sell my 2x256MB OCZ EL Platinum :-/

Sjaak

drenader said:
hmm another side of this, intresting. would i need to get more of the same ram? OR can i get another 512 set?

With another 2x256 of the same ram (same speeds, same timings, preferably same chips), it would work.

Xymurgy

4x256 at the same FSB will perform better than 2X512.

However, 4x256 will more than likely have to run at a lower fsb to remain stable. I think Sjaak's experience was due to his crappy 512 RAM sticks. My experience supports my claim. 2X512 my 3.0c can go to 240 fsb. With 4x256, I need to back off to around 230ish.

OP
drenader

drenader

Without OCing though for like games and photoshop at stock settings, would all be good with 4x256?