• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.23 client beta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Hi,
A beta 3.23 client, incorporating much of the To Do list pertaining to the client, is available at http://folding.stanford.edu/beta/beta.html . As always, hope to get and use your feedback, especially since are some areas (like networking) that have seen major change.
Thanks,
Guha

Change log:
- If a work unit is rejected for any reason, server now returns reason
to client, which prints it out. (In this client, and servers will transition
to the new code as projects come online.) If work unit is fatally flawed,
then deleted from queue.
- "Could not transmit unit" statement now also includes date unit was
completed ("Could not transmit unit x (Completed xxxx)").
- Checks for bad URL, port on reception of work unit, deleting it before
even starting work if bad.
- Time stamp on every line of FAHlog.
- Arguments to client printed to log.
- Some log messages modified (like the requested, and deserved, "Thank you"
added!). Some further spacing changes may be desired.
- File "unitinfo.txt" printed and updated, with information and progress
for current work unit. (Had been requested for use by 3rd party people,
but keep in mind that format may remain fluid until release.)
- Benchmark done before every new work unit request; result printed (on verbosity 6).

Console (Linux/Windows) specific-
- Answers to Configuration questions now validated. One letter answers (i.e.
"y" or "Y" instead of "yes") allowed.

Windows (all versions) specific-
- Client FAHlog output overhauled to use Windows API functions. (Interested
in hearing if you see any change in performance, particularly from those
Win95/98 users who said log froze sometimes.) Log file is locked for
writing by other programs while client running.
- Networking overhaul to use whatever proxy settings are used by Internet
Explorer (default setting).

Windows GUI specific-
- Bug fixed where if click off systray menu, menu did not disappear.
- Tool tip on systray icon now gives program status (including work
progress if currently working)
- When move mouse over hyperlink portions of display, mouse icon becomes a
hand.
- Bug fixed where if move display, then the links at the bottom of the
display (ticker tape ones) did not always work.
- Menu item ("Status") added to give easy access to Team Stats page, User
Stats page, and Logfile.

Planned to be ready for release 3.23 or next beta 3.23-
- Access to queueinfo information from the GUI menu.

FOLD ON
NAS

cerberus

gave it a go... loaded it up and it leapt right into action... didnt see the familiar "benchmarking" delay.. we'll see if there is any performance increase shortly

-] anGrY [-

Registered
hmmm, running a p610 WU (or is it FU for folding unit ;)), it seems my times are better using the new beta console client. This is on an AthlonXP 1600+ rig (non o/c'd :() running WinXP Pro. Previous times were averaging 5m 49sec per frame. With the new beta console client, times so far are averaging 5m 44sec. This is totally non-scientiferic mind you, just some loose notes I have laying about with scribbling on them.... I'll have to wait until a p610 is complete this evening for a better assessment. I'll take any increase I can get, be it a few seconds or maybe more. I need it just to stay in the top 200!!

OCn00b

ok, i downloaded it, was it supposed to continue with the WU i was working on or should it have downloaded a new one?

OSUmaxx

OCn00b said:
ok, i downloaded it, was it supposed to continue with the WU i was working on or should it have downloaded a new one?

If I'm not mistaken, just put it in the same folder as the old client and it should pick up that WU.

OCn00b

heh, well i put it in a different folder but it picked it up anyway. well i guess as long as it works it should be fine. i'll know when this WU is done i guess.

Maxvla

Fever said:
It's not the console though, it's the GUI version. :confused:
its uncanny how your info makes it look like another guy i know goes by accordman on hondastyle forums.

uses the same avatar, but in his sig and is also in montreal. alas the birthdays don't match.

OSUmaxx

Maxvla said:

its uncanny how your info makes it look like another guy i know goes by accordman on hondastyle forums.

uses the same avatar, but in his sig and is also in montreal. alas the birthdays don't match.

I was thinking about that earlier. Crazy :cool:

:burn:

OP
NASsoccer

NASsoccer

If you do encounter some really odd problems, post them in the beta section of the comm boards too if you can! or if you can't let me know and i will make sure they get posted over there!

There are a lot of changes in this client so it will be interesting to see how long it will be tested until it goes gold!

FOLD ON
NAS

Fever

Maxvla said:

Really? hehe, sweet. :D I got (stole..:p) the icon from a member at Montrealracing.com. Accordman rings a bell, I'll have to check it out. :)

OP
NASsoccer

NASsoccer

NASsoccer said:

- Benchmark done before every new work unit request; result printed (on verbosity 6).

this is a cool feature, the client starts up faster because the client only does a benchmark before getting a new WU, not every time you start the client. Amd being on verbrosity 5 it will give stanford a bit more info if something goes avry!

FOLD ON
NAS

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Well, I've been using the beta w32 console client for about a day now.

One nice new feature: This is the first console version to successfully auto-dial my modem connection in Win XP Pro. I believe this is because they changed it to follow the IE settings.

So, I don't have to worry about being home when the console finishes a WU ... :D

-- Paul

OP
NASsoccer

NASsoccer

macklin01 said:
Well, I've been using the beta w32 console client for about a day now.

One nice new feature: This is the first console version to successfully auto-dial my modem connection in Win XP Pro. I believe this is because they changed it to follow the IE settings.

So, I don't have to worry about being home when the console finishes a WU ... :D

-- Paul

that is awesome! if this client solves the XP autodial problem , then that is a huge step by itself!

FOLD ON
NAS