• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$3-4 G's - Going Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

I've decided on Intel for my CPU, I think I will go with the 3 Ghz. That 800mhz FSB..... makes me..... uhhh... never mind. Well, I'm having trouble deciding on a motherboard. This will be my first from scratch computer. I have helped put together computers before, I know that won't be a problem, but I have never had the last say on a motherboard. I am looking for one with an onboard Gigabit LAN, but this is not needed, I can get a separate card if I have to.

Also, I am probably going to get two 120 GB HD's of somesort and that will go along with the 60 GB that I have right now, so.... some sort of RAID is in order.

I'm thinking of this, but I don't know if it is the right mobo for me. I am not the smartest when it comes to mobo's at all. I know a lot about everything else... but not mobo's, I know that may seem wierd.

P.S. - This seems like a great forum and I am glad to be a member now. I am also a member of some other forums you may know of, and this one seems to have less drama (which is a good thing for a technical forum).

cerberus

if you're dropping large amounts of cash in this id definitely go sata hd's... the speed is amazing... and what's your application for the gigabit lan? unless you're routinely transferring several gigs from one computer to another you wont ever see even a fraction of your bandwidth used

Ec]-[oMaN

save like 200 bucks and get the 2.6c most likely overclocks higher then the 3.0 and is cheaper,then you have an extra 200$ to spend on other things

OP
Jonny 2x4

Jonny 2x4

cerberus said:
if you're dropping large amounts of cash in this id definitely go sata hd's... the speed is amazing... and what's your application for the gigabit lan? unless you're routinely transferring several gigs from one computer to another you wont ever see even a fraction of your bandwidth used

Do you have a link to these "sata" HD's?

Oh, and I am getting the Gigabit because I host LAN's at my house and It would be a lot faster if I could have my 30 some odd friends download from a Gigabit card instead of a 10/100 card. And yes, I do have gigabit networking hardware.

I don't know If I will overclock or not, that's why I might go with the 3.0 Ghz. I have never overclocked and I don't want to fry my brand new stuff.

EDIT:

THIS is what is in my newegg.com wishlist. Do you guys see anything wrong here? Of course I need to get a vid card, but I will wait for the new ATI and Nvidia to come out first.

Last edited:

cerberus

that mobo u picked out up top has a SATA controller already on it.. albeit one with a bad reputation for corrupting drives...abit ic7-g or the asus p4c800 would be better board choices *emphasis on the asus*... and you can look on pricewatch.com for sata drives... id go with the western digital raptors bout 300$ for 2 of them.. theyre 10,000 rpm drives with an 8mb cache.. will put basically everything else to shame.. what were you goin to do about graphics? id wait for more comparisons between the 9800 and the GF FX line and see what comes out on top.. as far as overclocking goes these boards are putting out amazing oc's... rock solid steady with no added voltage running off just basic air cooling... huge jump in fsb... get the lower speed as mentioned above because it'll yeild better oc's....and its cheaper

Last edited:

Ec]-[oMaN

jonny,trust me this time around dont go asus their canterwood isjust full of problems,espicially if you want a raid setup,they have released about 10 bios,and finally the promise raid drivers,so when you get your asus p4c800 if you even get one get ready to load a ton of software/drivers just to get it running the way it should have when you open the package,just my 2 cents,asus has gone downhill ever since the p4s533,with the exception of the asus p4pe,so one decent board out of 6 in the last year

cerberus

missin a power supply... and why the 2 180's? really need that much storage?... still id go with the 2.6c... and for your audio why not save a couple hundred getting the 2.6c *better and cheaper* and lay off one HD and build yourself a real sound system... get a 5.1 or 6.1 receiver and some real speakers... *btw i love that case*

Tw00sh

the asus p4c800 would be better board choices *emphasis on the asus*...

Sense you plan to take full advantage of the gigabyte lan, DO NOT GET THE P4C800. It does not support the CSA technology and this will kill your nice gigabyte speeds.

I would ditch the XMS 3200LL for XMS3500 though, and I would also consider a 9700 Pro instead of the FX5600. You said money was not really an object :D

EDIT, meant FX5600 not 9600 :)

Last edited:
OP
Jonny 2x4

Jonny 2x4

Doesn't the 2.6c have less FSB?

What about... one raptor and two 180's

Tw00sh, the 3500C2? It's quite a bit cheaper.

Ec]-[oMaN

Tw00sh said:

Sense you plan to take full advantage of the gigabyte lan, DO NOT GET THE P4C800. It does not support the CSA technology and this will kill your nice gigabyte speeds.

I would ditch the XMS 3200LL for XMS3500 though, and I would also consider a 9700 Pro instead of the 9600. You said money was not really an object :D
oh yeah forgot about that too in my post trust me asus=pos this time,they came out with the p4c800deluxe and saved about 5 bucks per board,look what happened,now i hear they are putting together another asus p4c800 this time with the ich5r raid and the intel lan which it should have had in the first place,that was the whole point to getting canterwood because of all those new features...

OP
Jonny 2x4

Jonny 2x4

Cerberus, will the onboard audio on the gigabit be good for an external soundsystem?

Tw00sh, check my post above, about the ram.

Ec]-[oMaN

Jonny 2x4 said:
Cerberus, will the onboard audio on the gigabit be good for an external soundsystem?

Tw00sh, check my post above, about the ram.
onboard sound on all boards i hear from people and myself are not that great,my sound blaster live value sounds better

Tw00sh

If you are using digital the on board sound will SUCK.

If you are planning to just plug it into speakers, it might be okay, BUT it is still less quality than Audigy or Audigy 2. I even think it would be better with a sound blaster live than the onboard?

EDIT : BAH, he just beat me to it :D

Tw00sh

Tw00sh, the 3500C2? It's quite a bit cheaper.

I missed that part, sorry. (Make sure it is XMS memory though.)

Yeah, the 3500 is better for a 875P motherboard. Corsair 3200LL runs real tight timings. 2,2,2,5 and lots of users are experiencing problems getting their memory to run these timing speeds in pairs.

The 3500 can run at 2,2,2,6. Corsair is recommending you run it at 2,3,3,6 with the 875P chipset though. It is slightly suppose (Key word suppose) to be more stable above 200MHZ as well.

Its just a recommendation. The 3200LL will work. I have mine at 200MHZ, but there is a chance it will not work at its rated speeds. :D