• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3/8 or 1/2 fittings for DD-Maze2 waterblock? And why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Michael_Myers

I am going to order the DD-Maze2 waterblock for my Duron 800 and was wondering what size fittings to get. And why? What's the difference?

Some specs to help you determine:
KT7a MOBO......
Mid tower case. (ATX of course)

Also.....Could someone point me to a radiator that is small enough to fit a mid tower case, but good enough to do the job? Thanks.

Badger

If your using 3/8" tube get 3/8" fittings, if your using 1/2" tube get 1/2" fittings.
The advantage of the larger tube and fittings is it gives less pressure drop so you get higher flow rates but there is no advantage in using 1/2" fittings if all your tube is only 3/8".

AMDGuy

I'd get 3/8" as most pumps are 3/8" fittings. You'll have to do a lot of fabricating OR try to find a pump that has 1/2" fittings.

I used 3/8" and it works great.

W

William

most watercooling stuff is built on 3/8" tubing so i would get that.

Flash

It's definitely possible to do 1/2" accross the board, but there's no point in getting 1/2" if you have 3/8" fittings *anywhere* in your system--you won't see any improvement.

BTW, Danner pumps use 1/2 fittings (which must be added). I don't recommend them because they leak.

Badger

AMDGuy (Jul 25, 2001 03:24 p.m.):
I'd get 3/8" as most pumps are 3/8" fittings. You'll have to do a lot of fabricating OR try to find a pump that has 1/2" fittings.

I used 3/8" and it works great.

Actually pumps with 1/2" outlets are not hard to come by, the Ehiem 1250 has a 1/2" outlet and a 5/8" inlet.
I'm using 1/2" tubing and fittings on the pump discharge and 5/8" tube from the rad to the pump suction. Swaging down on pump inlet and outlet sizes (especially the inlet) has a big impact on flow rate and can cause pump cavitation.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
400 GPh pump and 1/2 fittings the only way to go :) love my pump....
seriously though, get the pump first and find out what fits.
that will be your best option

ap0calyps

Registered
400GPH eh??? Pretty useless when your limited by the 1/4" water way in the Danger Den Maze 2 blocks. Or if your lucky and get a new one you will be limited by the 3/8" path in the new block.

I would go with 1/2" then there is more pressure at the block to force water through. I have 3/8" at the moment but am planning an upgrade to 1/2".