• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 pin motherboard wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

Is it ok to have 3 fans connected to one of the 3 pin connectors on the motherboard. I want to wire 3 fans together (1 case and 2 video card fans) to one of the 3 pin connectors. Would this put alot of strain on the motherboard.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
I would advise agains it.
You can VERY easily BLOW A FAN HEADER on a motherboard by overloading it .... (just ask delta fan owners)
Having 3 fans can very well do that, how may amp/or watts do the fans you have run at?

And if you are looking for RPM speed, 1 header cant read 3 fans...

So it would be the safest to run the 3 fans (could leave one) from a 4 pin Molex connector

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Get yourself some 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan adapters. No use risking the health of your mobo. Those tiny little traces can't handle much amperage.

Cooler666

Disabled
I've already blown my CPU fan headers by connecting just a 120mm fan rotating at 2000rpm to it, so yeah get the convertor and connect it to the power supply instead.