• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 x 120 radiator in a mid tower with pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregmacknass

Well I present to you, the not yet fully complete true mid tower with a 3 x 120 radiator internally mounted. It took quite a bit of hacking, cutting, and head scratching to make this one work. It was my first case modding adventure. I decided to use this raidmax case that was given to me for fixing a computer for a friend. He was given the case by another friend that bought it and didn't like it. So I figured what the heck it was free anyways.

The radiator is a Swiftec MCR320-QP-K
The pump is a DDC with an XSPC top
The reservoir is a Danger Den DD-RAD
The water block is an EK Supreme Aceteal

I have it setup to get some measurements for the new hard drive mounting box and wire hiding cover. I figured that I would go ahead and share my progress so far. I plan on eventually adding NB and SB water blocks into the loop. I will just leave the graphics cards on air because they don't run too hot.

I used brushed stainless to create the radiator mount/front panel, and I think that I will leave that unpainted (but install aluminum fan covers). I will be constructing the hard drive box and wire hiding panel out of stainless as well, and will probably leave that bare as well. I will be painting the inside of the case black to keep a matching color scheme throughout.

And I know that the wires are a mess currently, and will be addressed (was just slapped together)

-Greg

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 434
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 411
Yeah it was a perfect fit. I did quite a bit of measuring to make sure it would work out. I originally was planning on installing it barbs up, but it would not line up with the opening that way. I was concerned about it being difficult to bleed, but laying it sideways for a while bled it pretty quickly.
-Greg

How are you going to handle a cd/dvd bay? Or are you content with just leaving that out?

Honestly, if a case maker made something like this from the get go, they couldn't keep them on the shelves. It is that awesome!

I have given the dvd drive quite a bit of thought. I was thinking of using a laptop dvd drive (have a couple laying around), and possibly mounting it vertically behind the motherboard tray. But I haven't committed myself to anything at the moment. I was also thinking of just using a usb dvd drive when needed (considering I use the no cd cracks for all my games) or just use my file server and rip the dvd's and transfer them over the network.

I wish that they would make a case like the one I am building (would have saved me a lot of time), but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Many radiators are the same as far as layout, but they are not all the same. So there would not be a 1 size fits all. But if they did make a case similar to the one I am making, I am sure that they would sell out quickly. But for the time being, the only way is to do it yourself. I have to say that this project has been fun so far, and not really too hard (with the right tools).
-Greg

thats looks nice, very clean :)

I thought about doing similar as I dont have a optical drive i would be able to dedicate the front of my case to radage, but i dont have the money or skill to cut apart a case....maybe one day :)

Any reason your still using IDE hard drives?

Thanks for the comments on the looks. I think that it will look even better when everything is all painted and buttoned up. I am using my old IDE drives right now because my good SATA drive crapped out on me recently, and after spending so much on upgrading my rig recently it has left me hard up for cash. I will probably just pick a new drive or 2 up this week. That way they will show up just in time to be installed in the finished product.

As I said the case was a cheap case to begin with (and was free to me) so taking the air powered die grinder to it didn't bother me too much. I have a fair amount of experience fabricating sheet metal (not really all too difficult truthfully) so that aspect wasn't bad. Really if you can operate a drill, have a steady hand to operate a die grinder or dremel, and a little shred of creativity and planning you could pull it off. Just buy a really cheap case from newegg for $20 (or 1 laying around your house) so if you F*** it up it wont be a big deal. Or just use it to practice on before hacking up your nice case. You would be surprised at what you are capable of accomplishing when you set your mind to achieving a goal.
-Greg

Wow that looks great. I think you would be good using that USB dvd drive. That way you can keep that great clean look and hook it up when you need it.

Thanks. I think that I am just going to use a USB drive when needed, because I find that I very rarely use my drive when it was in the computer.
-Greg

I've always wondered how a 120x3 would fit in similar towers before. Looks awesome! Are you planning on keeping the pump where it is? And which case is that exactly?

I actually know that case fairly well. My wife's system is in one (AM3 rig in sig), and while not being the best case around, it actually has OK airflow. I think it may be made by Powmax, or something like that. It's not my fault the wife has it, I tried to point out the better cases, but she really wanted the red LED's.:(

Either way, it looks good with that rad in the front. Much better than stock.:thup:

Yeah I am planning on keeping the pomp there. I ordered a enzotec 60 degree fitting to get the tubing going the right direction without kinking with the side panel on.

As far as what case it is exactly, I honestly have no clue. As I said this was given to me by a friend who I did work for on his computer, and was given to him by another friend. It was just sitting around collecting dust in my house for like 7-8 months before I finally used it (read tired of tripping over it).

It could very well be a Powmax case and not a Raidmax. The design on the side panel matched up pretty well with the raidmax cases they have on newegg, so I figured that's what it was. There's no brand on it so we may never know for sure. Thanks for all the compliments. I should have it all finished up in the next day or so, so expect an update with the finished product.
-Greg

As soon as I have a chance, I need to do some work on my wife's rig (read swap out SI-97A for U120). I will get a pic of the side panel and get it posted up. It could also be that Powmax and Raidmax use the same OEM for their cases, leaving the same design on the side panel of both. Either way, I got the one I have new in box, and it came with a worthless 350W PSU. It was fun jumping that PSU to watch it light itself up.:D

I also have a mystery case passed from a friend. I think it's an Ultra, and a clone of 2005ish Antec case. It mostly sits there and I salvage stuff from it :D

Back