• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

30GB Vertext not quite as fast as i expected...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
It's not slow, that's for sure... but i figured it'd be able to beat out my Ghetto RAID by more than 60MB/s :-/

Vertex:
Capture-14.png
RAID 0 with 320gig WDC Blue and 250gig WDC:
Capture2-1.png
And RAID 1 on same drives as above:
Capture3.png

Did i do something wrong when i was setting up the drive...? I booted up on the old windows install and did a few copies to the drives just to see if it could outpace my RAID, which it did just fine. Maxed the RAID out in both copying to and from the SSD. Then i wiped the drive and installed win 7 and my programs onto it. There's about 4 gig free on the drive... is that enough?

I just feel like it should be a little faster than it is :-/

I also just ran an Error scan on the drive, and noticed that it seems to be stopping every 2 gig or so... anyone know what may cause that? i've heard it was a problem with early SSDs, but that newer drives didin't have the problem because of better controllers and TRIM.

Last edited:

Mr Alpha

Two things come to mind:
  1. When you played around with copying files you probably managed to put the SSD in a used state. It might not have TRIMed the files when you wiped the drive if you didn't use Windows 7 or hadn't updated to the TRIM firmware. And since you wiped the drive and installed Windows after that Windows doesn't know anymore about the stuff it needs to TRIM.
  2. SSDs slow down as they get full and with only 4GB of empty space left you are probably starting to feel this effect.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Looks about right to me. Your bandwidth is roughly what I would expect, and you took 10ms off your access time which is huge, and a large portion of the advantage you see with using an SSD.

Other than that, I'd look at #1 mentioned by mr. a.

OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

Two things come to mind:
  1. When you played around with copying files you probably managed to put the SSD in a used state. It might not have TRIMed the files when you wiped the drive if you didn't use Windows 7 or hadn't updated to the TRIM firmware. And since you wiped the drive and installed Windows after that Windows doesn't know anymore about the stuff it needs to TRIM.
  2. SSDs slow down as they get full and with only 4GB of empty space left you are probably starting to feel this effect.

I used Windows 7 when i was playing with it. I used a full format in the old copy of Windows 7, then rebooted and installed Windows 7 onto the SSD. I've heard of a few programs that will force Windows to TRIM all of the free space on the drive... anyone know the name of any of them?

As for the space, i can probably go take the Adobe Master suite off the drive and fix that lol

tuskenraider

I used Windows 7 when i was playing with it. I used a full format in the old copy of Windows 7, then rebooted and installed Windows 7 onto the SSD. I've heard of a few programs that will force Windows to TRIM all of the free space on the drive... anyone know the name of any of them?
Wiper.exe Can't link at the moment.

OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

I ran Wiper, and took the Adobe CS4 suite off of the Vertex, and performance is about the same. Same spike to full speed in the same spot, and then same okayish performance in the rest of the drive... Average speed dropped down to 150ish though :/

nd4spdbh2

I ran Wiper, and took the Adobe CS4 suite off of the Vertex, and performance is about the same. Same spike to full speed in the same spot, and then same okayish performance in the rest of the drive... Average speed dropped down to 150ish though :/

can you post the link to this wiper.exe for ssds?

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
The advantage of having a SSD is not the throughput, like that test is showing, but instead the access times. Fire up a program like ATTO and see what it says. It will do substantially better with smaller files.

The random access times of a SSD drive are almost zero compared to old mechanical drives. That is where they shine.

fusion509

I got the same drive recently and installed windows 7 on it. When i run hd tach i get the same burst speed as you but my read is 223 mb/s. I do have 14.4gb left it that has any affect.

Know Nuttin

"Should be a little faster" as in how it benchmarks or how it feels?

Try running a Crystalmark diskmark test and see how it fares against an HDD setup, specifically with the random 4k results.

OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

I figured it'd bench better, and it feels kinda slower at bootup now... i think i may break my raid and try to run Wiper without the RAID running... might reinstall with the partitions actually aligned too

ATTO is showing 80MB/s now... something's up here... should i just reinstall and align the partitions with 64KB? Is there a chance that TRIM isn't working? The drive came with firmware 1.4 which is the latest that i could find...

Last edited:

Know Nuttin

They say 25% of the drive free is ideal. This may account for some of the performance drop.
Other thing being, you need to stop benchmarking using tools designed to test HDD's. SSD's are a different beast altogether.

Mr Alpha

ATTO is showing 80MB/s now... something's up here... should i just reinstall and align the partitions with 64KB?
The 1024K offset that Windows 7 uses works just as well, no need to change it. Any offset that is a multiple of 4K works. The only problem is with Windows XP which uses an offset of 31K, which isn't a multiple of 4K.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Also got to note that the smaller drives like the 30Gigs might not have as many chips on it to perform at "fast" read/write speeds. Though you do need free space for the drive to function properly with its internal software to reduce ware on the drive.

Also note not all of the speed of the drive comes from the actual numbers you see there. Its access time is key. Imagine accessing say 500 small files (sub 64kb). On a SSD with an access time of lets say .2ms it would take 100ms or .1 seconds to find the files and read almost all of them in under 2 seconds. Take it to the next step and use a mechanical HDD with a generous access time of 7ms (think begining of drive). First it would take 3.5seconds to find the files and another... 5-32seconds (roughly) to read the files. As you can see much faster in that department. Larger files there is less of an advantage to but still its faster then a standard HDD vs SSD, and even in some cases a Raid0 of HDD vs SSD the SSD will win in Reads and Writes. This is with newer drives too.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
HD TACH AND TUNE DOES NOT READ SSD's ACCURATELY OR CONSISTENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use ATTO or Crystal Disk Mark!!!!!

Also, the offset is 100MB for W7.

But wow, those ATTO results are slow. 80MB....??

OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

i figured out what was causing it.
For some reason the RAID controller was controling the drive even though it wasn't part of the RAID, so the TRIM Commands weren't going through. Broke the RAID reinstalled windows, and i'm getting 230MB/s+ now... now i just have to figure out how to get the data off my RAID 1 mirror lol

EDIT: After formatting the drive in Diskpart of course lol

OP
CompuTamer

CompuTamer

First post of 2010 :D

Now... uh... my Vertex has come into the new year doing 40MB/s writes... and 140 reads? 10 gig of free space, so that's a third of the drive... what's going on? I ran Wiper, and that didn't make much of a difference. Using AHCI and the Microsoft drivers, with 64K alignment. It was working great up until tonight... what happened??? :( It's slower than my normal drive now...

Last edited: