• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3200+ heat issues with SP-97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

austinbmxnig

I just upgraded from a 2700+ and it was running at around 44C idle.....so when i got the 3200+ i purchased a Sp-97 and a Thermaltake 56cfm fan and some AS5.....now i run at 46 idle and 49 load...it was running at around 51 load but i redid my AS5 and that seemed to help alot but it still seems a tad hot, its OC'd to 2450 mhz....my 90X25 fan runs at 2700 rpms and seems to blow pretty hard (no pun intended)...im considering getting a delta 92mm to cool it down

AS5 takes some time to set in there. Just wait until you will see a drop in temp.

sagitta85 said:
AS5 takes some time to set in there. Just wait until you will see a drop in temp.

very true, a lot of hours, not sure exactly the number but a lot. id also lap if you haven't already.

who wants to 'splain lapping to me? from using context clues it seems to be going over the heatsink with a high grit sandpaper

I believe there is a lapping guide in the cooling sticky by Maximus Nickus. That should answer all of your questions about lapping better than I can. AS5 setting in time (from their website instructions) is around 200 hours. However, I doubt that it will affect your temps that much (maybe a couple of degrees). You can wait until the 200 hours is up and see what your temps are like then, and if you still think it should go down more you can try lapping it, which ought to help.

my case is 24C so thats not a problem....i think its because i didn't wipe away the as5 on the heatsink, i just applied a layer to both HS and the core and smoothed it out with a credit card and seated it, I just looked at the as5 website and they say to apply it to the heatsink and then wipe it off so that only the microscopic holes are filled and then a thin layer to the core....maybe the layers are too thick

also would it better to have more powerful intake fans or exhaust fans, becaues i have 2 led fans and they are alot more powerful then the regular black antec fans and am curious if they would do more damage as exhaust or intake

The SP-97 HS is rated at a C/W of 0.23 ...Your system(case) temp is 25C, and cpu temp of 49C = a C/W of 0.24 ....Looks like the Delta 92mm HHE is in order here..:)
Thermalright SP-97: 0.23

To test out how much case temp impacts your system, open the side of the case, aim a house fan at the motherboard and record temps under stress. This is "best case" for airflow through the case.

Last, remember that in-socket thermistors are not accurate measures of CPU temps. Every heatsink affects an in-socket thermistor differently, as does airflow over the motherboard. There is no consistency between motherboards as well. At a minimum, you can factor +/- 5 C to these temps.

SOURCE LINK

DELTA HHE LINK :thup:

Back