• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3200+, Why? can't we just OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grimdeath

Correct me if anything I'm saying is wrong. It's apparent to me that running a 400Mhz+ FSB is nothing new, people have apparently been OC'ing this for some time now (even using the 233FSB CPU's).
I don't understand the hype on the 3200. Apparently, it is architectually identical to the 2500+/2800+ Barton cores and has been sorted to certify the higher bus speed.
Why would someone dish out twice the cost to purchase it when I've seen people claim that there OC'd 2500 has surpassed the stock 3200 and that OC results on the 3200 are less than appealing.
Am I missing something fundamental here?
Technically, running a 2500 and 3200 at for example 10*200 should yield the same performance results, right??

Thanks.

Mainly greed and hype. But I think the reason most people buy these and I mean around 90% of computer users don't even know what overclocking is. I have some heavy computer users that I know that have no idea what overclocking is. These people know they want the fastest CPU possible but have no idea that for half the price they can get the same CPU. Then you have the whole "voided warranty" idea that scares the hell out of most people. At least thats what I think. :)

Grimdeath said:
Correct me if anything I'm saying is wrong. It's apparent to me that running a 400Mhz+ FSB is nothing new, people have apparently been OC'ing this for some time now (even using the 233FSB CPU's).
I don't understand the hype on the 3200. Apparently, it is architectually identical to the 2500+/2800+ Barton cores and has been sorted to certify the higher bus speed.
Why would someone dish out twice the cost to purchase it when I've seen people claim that there OC'd 2500 has surpassed the stock 3200 and that OC results on the 3200 are less than appealing.
Am I missing something fundamental here?
Technically, running a 2500 and 3200 at for example 10*200 should yield the same performance results, right??

Thanks.

That's right. It's just that AMD will guarantee that performance,
for years. If I burn out my overclocked chip, I won't RMA it, I don't think that's right. I'll assume the responsibilty for my actions, maybe shed a tear and buy another one and hope for a better chip.

The manufacturers have to put the top number for P4 and XP on their boxes, and they cannot use oc'ed CPU like us. As a result, they are running CPU with 4X the price but 1X the performance of an oc'ed CPU. E.g. Barton 3200+ ~$450, Barton 2500+ ~$100.

Back