• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

333mhz at 9x -or- 428mhz at 7x 1:1...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznsound

right now, i have my E6600 overclocked to 3ghz at 333mhz with 9x multiplier... i was considering of lowering the multiplier to 7x so i can get a 1:1 with the ram at ~428mhz...

i was wondering if a faster bus at a lower multiplier will require more voltage than a slower bus with a higher multiplier...?

which one would be a better configuration...?

Randyman...

It probably depends on the MoBo, but I know that my P965 based systems perform better when NOT in the 370-399 FSB Range due to bootstrapping. The P35/X38 chipsets probably have a different range of FSB's to avoid...

I always prefer a faster FSB when possible as this usualy widens up the FSB bandwidth (assuming you are not stepping over a bootstrap where the timings loosen for the worse)...

:cool:

Mr.Guvernment

past reviews i have seen show basiocally 0 diff between a faster FSB and lower muili vs slower FSB and higher multi if you are using it to hit the same speed.

just do what you can get to stable

OP
A

aznsound

hi, i've settled at 350mhz x 9 FSB with 466mhz memory... the processor is actually stable at 3.2ghz but i am not trying to max it out... i just want something extra... at 3.15ghz, i was still able to undervolt from 1.35v down to 1.30v... it's amazing... the result is almost the same temps at idle with stock speed ~35C... at full load, the temps are around 5C more than at stock... around 54C high at 3.15ghz with Zalman 7000...

Mr.Guvernment

i am messing with my 6600 now, i am 3.15Ghz also at 1.320 in cpu idle, temps are 51 idle on speed fan, but then for each individual core..... it says 28-33C for each.. weirdd

s9700 zalman here
problem is day time now in costa rica is hitting 30C easily, so i cant run it 24/7 as hard as i want, but once 5pm ish comes, temp drops

OP
A

aznsound

at 3.15ghz and 30C ambient, what temps are you getting at full load...?

i am getting 54C at load with ambient 26C...