• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3700x running hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

Summer is just about to start here and my buddy has a Ryzen 3700x with the stock cooler and it's running a bit hot, especially since the house is very hot in summer and in a 25C room the CPU is going into the mid-high 80s, especially when gaming with the video card dumping plenty of heat in the case.

He's thinking of buying a mid-range air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition like this https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANCLM0218/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Black-Edition-CPU-Cooler-G

Would that be a good enough upgrade over the stock cooler? He is not going to overclock.

The room gets to around 30C (86F) in summer on a hot day and there's no easy way to cool this area without spending lots of $ on an air con.

Last edited:
Not familiar with that cooler but I would assume so as the Hyper 212 got allot of recommendations with the FX 8XXX series. But that is only half the battle. What kind of case is he using, how many fans and how are they oriented to removing the warm air from inside the case? If you can't remove the heat even the best coolers will struggle to cool your CPU.

You said yourself the problem: ambient heat from summer and the GPU. Anything is going to be an uphill battle with 30C ambient, even a custom loop. A 212 is an upgrade from the stock cooler, but it is not a massive upgrade, under the best conditions you might see 5 or 10c improvement.

80s isn't that bad, if you're not overclocking I would suggest just leaving it at stock and not worrying about temps unless you start seeing them in the high 90s. I'm not saying that it's great, but it is within spec and like you said, there isn't a lot you can do about the root cause of this problem. If you want to work on something to improve the situation, I'd suggest trying to improve case airflow and making sure that the case and CPU cooler are as clean and dust free as possible.

What case are you using? How many fans and in what configuration? Your signature appears to be a little out of date. If you had simply dropped in a 3700x upgrade to the rig in your signature, why not use the noctua cooler? It is a far sight better than the 212.

Not familiar with that cooler but I would assume so as the Hyper 212 got allot of recommendations with the FX 8XXX series. But that is only half the battle. What kind of case is he using, how many fans and how are they oriented to removing the warm air from inside the case? If you can't remove the heat even the best coolers will struggle to cool your CPU.

You said yourself the problem: ambient heat from summer and the GPU. Anything is going to be an uphill battle with 30C ambient, even a custom loop. A 212 is an upgrade from the stock cooler, but it is not a massive upgrade, under the best conditions you might see 5 or 10c improvement.

80s isn't that bad, if you're not overclocking I would suggest just leaving it at stock and not worrying about temps unless you start seeing them in the high 90s. I'm not saying that it's great, but it is within spec and like you said, there isn't a lot you can do about the root cause of this problem. If you want to work on something to improve the situation, I'd suggest trying to improve case airflow and making sure that the case and CPU cooler are as clean and dust free as possible.

What case are you using? How many fans and in what configuration? Your signature appears to be a little out of date. If you had simply dropped in a 3700x upgrade to the rig in your signature, why not use the noctua cooler? It is a far sight better than the 212.

Just to clarify, this is not the rig in my signature, it's for a buddy of mine with a different build. He has a modern Cooler Master case of some sort (not sure of the model).

There are 2X 120mm intake fans and 1X 120mm exhaust fan. I have set fan curves in the UEFI to make sure that the fans are properly spinning up with the case temperature increase and I have monitored this with HWInfo to make sure the case fans are actually spinning up properly. The CPU fan is set to auto.

There is room to put additional exhaust fans in the top of the case.

Hes stock... running high 80s on the stock cooler, right? Temps seems fine to me, no? Can it run a stress test?

Hyper 212 is little better than Wraith Prism. I would recommend you to run Clock Tuner for Ryzen (CTR) and get quick results regarding Overclock/Undervolt potential. 212 EVO or Hyper T4 (and even Gammaxx 400) are evenly matched in price and performance in case you don't find any of those.

For example Im running a 3700X + X570 Taichi. using the undervolt reccommendation of 1.175V but with Overclocked CCX's. CCX1 = 4350 MHz & CCX2 = 4375 MHz. This 3700X is good for OC but maybe you can get close resuls or a bit worse (some friends can do 4150 or 4200 with same volts). Still differences in games are meaningless.

Do the Undervolt since the high temps of these CPUs are mainly for high pitch voltages triggered by the PBO which I recommend you to disable.

Regads

Regards

Just FYI I usually get 4300 MHz on my 3700x /w stock wraith cooler. Using amd's Precision Boost. (Water loop is all here but yet to assemble...)

Is the 3700X in your buddy's rig overclocked or is he running it at stock clocks and voltages?

Back