• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3870 on Mac Has No TV Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ouiareborg

This is first time on OC. Don't know if this question is "Appropriate", since it has nothing to do with overclocking. Searched the internet, and couldn't get an answer. I have a 3870 on a Mac Pro dual core from 2008. 10.5.6 and such. I haven't been able to get the tv(S-Video)out, to work. The dvi works great. When it's plugged in, it doesn't even show under system profile. Any suggestions would be appreciated. What I have it plugged into, is a Sony video monitor. Thanks.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Can you post a screenshot of system profiler showing the video card information? Have you tried updating to the latest os x update, 10.5.8?

OP
O

ouiareborg

Thanks for the response. I will try upgrading to 10.5.8. Below is the specs for the card from system profiler.

ATI Radeon HD 3870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 3870
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9501
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B3390F-270
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.270
Displays:
HW191D:
Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

Blackstar

What you should be able to see is after you've plugged in both the computer monitor and the sony monitor with the S-Video input, reboot the machine and launch your system profiler. If it shows up,

Select the "Displays" option.

In it you should see an option for "Arrangement". This will tell you where the new screen is in relation to the DVI computer screen. (Above below etc)

In the upper right hand part of your monitor you should have a small icon for your displays. Under that should be the option to "Detect Displays". Try that. If it is detected, you should see the resolution and refresh rate of your second monitor. If it is S-Video, make sure it is set to 640x480 at 60 Hz to get the correct native res.

If nothing is showing up at all, you may have a bent pin, bad card, bad cable, bad monitor, bad connector, bad driver, etc. Could be a lot of things. But hooking up a new monitor on your mac should be done at start up with everything plugged in, rather than on the fly.

Hope this helps.

- Blackstar

OP
O

ouiareborg

Thanks. With upgrading to 10.5.8, and checking display preferences, it now is working. Strange, that, at first it wasn't showing in system profiler, and when I opened display preferences, it then started showing in profiler. Anyway, thanks again, and you have an amazing site here.